Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 9:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Oh:
    You do realize that somebody who is larger, will usually have a longer sword/reach, right? So, somebody who is shorter will have to have to have other advantages in order to win. There's no inherent advantage to being shorter than having a lower center of gravity.
    Acually I found great advantage in being a pitbull over being a Great Dane; at 5'10" and 250 lbs, even the biggest fighters couldn't choke me if I pulled my shoulders up, while leverage made it pretty much no-contest. Tank did likewise in his match with Severn, where Dan sat on his back hammering and choking him for indefinitely while Tank just lay there and didn't even seem to take notice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 10:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the strongest men not always win! It depends on how good someone has trained! Take Royce against Dan Sever for example. When 2 guys are almost equally skiled then probably the heavyer guy will win. But if the lighter person is more tehnical then things can be very deferent. Nog vs Bob Sapp around 140pounds weight deference and still Sapp lost the fight.

Train Hard-Never Quit
    I said the strong men USUALLY win; strength is a factor, but there are separate variables-- I also used to teach students not to depend on strength while training, or else they'd be better off simply going to the gym and having a weightlifting contest.

Dan Severn was an Olympic wrestler, where chokes are banned, as are head and body-scissors; naturally, then, Dan was out of his element when Gracie got him in a head-scissor choke.
    As for Sapp's weight advantage, I assume the weight difference was 140 lbs of FAT, or else he was a complete newbie; 140 lbs of additional muscle would have given Sapp the strength of a gorilla, making it no-contest.

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 10:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omen stone - "so if your 5'3" 150 pounds give up? Lol you guy are screwed up I think little guys got more to prove so they make the best fighter's. Ever seen them short guys who walk around like the chicken hawk? Yeah don't mess with them. "

wow, i'm 6 feet tall, 140 pounds light. I'm a skinny guy but got good range of strikes.

i don't understand the concept of give up

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 10:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what my uncle said is interesting, he has taken TKD for 5 years, WC for 8 and maybe another one

but he said that the person that wins is the one with

1.agression
    2. strength (pretty much size)
    3. and lastly martial arts (mad skillz lmao)

i've been working one that first one a lot, hehe

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 12:37am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it reply more on aggressive, body structure (a small guy could even take a lot of pounding too), tactic, technique, and stealth. A tricky techinque could always take person of any size off guard which would expose them to a serious strikes. Since I am small, I spar against a 5'10 and 170 lbs guy on regular base I have to use stealth a lot to get close and attack. Also body structure can make a different if a man have body full of fat it is clearly that he would be grossly slow and unflexible while a smaller guy would have leaner, faster, and flexible body. It woudl play a big role in fighting as well. Aggressive also play big role in fight, especially if they are under aderliene rush.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "As for Sapp's weight advantage, I assume the weight difference was 140 lbs of FAT, or else he was a complete newbie; 140 lbs of additional muscle would have given Sapp the strength of a gorilla, making it no-contest."

DanSevering -- Bob Sapp is pretty much all 'roid and muscle and yes, he has the strength of a gorilla. Nogueira beat him because of an obvious skill difference (Sapp had very little experience at the time, as you guessed). I don't think Sapp has lost since, beating Ernesto Hoost in K1 fights twice since then. (His MMA opposition since the loss hasn't been nearly as good as Nog, though).

Frankly, I think the fact that Sapp hung with Nog as long as he did and was able to manhandle him as much as he did, when Sapp was so obviously technically inferior, shows pretty conclusively that size and strength matter a whole lot. As for Sapp beating Hoost, who's technically about 50 gazillion times better? Draw your own conclusions.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 3:24am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Nogueira beat him because of an obvious skill difference (Sapp had very little experience at the time, as you guessed)

Sapp had little skill, that is true. But the main reason Sapp lost was he ran out of gas. He was pounding Nog for the majority of the fight which says alot about Nog to take the punishment and still squeeze out a win.

Not taking away anyting from Hoost but I find the way he was herald for coming from behind and wining the K1 tourney funny. Sapp broke his hand pounding Hoost. He he continued who would have stopped him.

HULK SMASH!!!

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 4:29am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "the main reason Sapp lost was he ran out of gas"

Hmm ... I'll have to watch that fight again. I remember thinking Sapp was tossing Nog around in a big way but just couldn't get a submission, whereas Nog didn't waste his chance when it came.

I thought Sapp was out of gas early in the first Hoost fight but he seemed to get a second wind -- more credit to the big guy for keeping 360ish lbs moving.

As for Hoost getting praised for winning the tourney: I agree. Can't take anything away from the fact Hoost beat everybody else, but Sapp's record is still 2-0 against the most consistent winner in K1.

***ned

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 5:30am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I have to say is, I'm 240lb's, and I got bitch slapped by a sub 190 lb (for sure) guy while we were doing newaza...several times. He has BJJ experience, I don't. Just my personal experience.

~
    delirious

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Size is good, but skill is usually better. As I mention in my article posted on this site, I was able to submit a 250 lb special ops guy who had BJJ experience (I weigh in at 167 these days). However, I learned a lot from that session:

1) It took me four minutes of full-bore fighting to get a tap. You can pretty much forget about having a quick fight with a bigger opponent.

2) I had to rely on a heel hook, the guy was too strong for any upper-body submissions. I went for leg submissions because he was 6'5 and had long legs (ie. big target area)

3) If there had been striking included, he probably would have beat the living crap out of me. Considering that I spent 90% of the match with him on top, the absence of ground-and-pound was a good thing.

4) Big guys get tired quicker. While I was pretty whipped at the end, Big Dan was even more exhausted. He was in great shape, but he was carrying close to 100 more pounds than me. It takes a lot of juice to move that much mass around the mat. Just watch boxing and compare the stamina of the bantamweight fighters to the heavyweights.

So, yes, size is an asset, but definitely not some kind of trump card. If I was the smaller man in a fight with a skilled adversary, I would try to wear the other guy down and avoid exchanging strikes if possible. There is a point where a size mismatch would be too big to counter with skill but I'm not quite sure where it is (whenever this subject comes up, I think of the Hackney vs. Yarborough fight in the first UFC. That was a match between a 220 lb striker and a 600 lb sumo wrestler. The small man won, using kenpo karate of all things). Personally, I'd like to be 6'8 and 280 for a week and see how it works but I guess 5'6 and 167 will have to do for now.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast