Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've read my previous thread, then you know that I'm big on practicality.

Does anyone have something they can through out about what they teach, assuming they do, in militaries, in the States and/or around the world? I know virtually nothing so whatever anybody can throw (names, websites, techniques, etc.) out would be cool.

Hell, while I'm at it, why not expand it to armed combat excluding guns and such. So knives, sticks, etc.

Edited by - Ken Oh on February 08 2003 10:33:13

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The US Military has an on going and ever evolving MA program right now. I am sad to say that the Marines have been taking the lead in developing a standard program and having it as part of regular training. Previously H2H training was done ONE day in basic then when you got to your unit you were on your own unless there was someone there willing to teach.

I am in the ARMY and we are still working out a program as well. The first version was pretty much basic BJJ but there have been some drawbacks that have been pointed out so we are working on improving it. (I am a Combatives rep for my unit.)

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, would that be US Army and you're currently posted in Germany?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I am a US Army soldier stationed in Germany.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 11:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-25.150/toc.htm

Amazingly, it doesn't look too far removed from whats used a lot in MMA...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that stuff taught in armies CAN be useful, but it also can be complete and utter shite.

For example, the Estonian army teaches bullshit knife techniques which they say "works 100%" yet I would probably cut them up if I wanted to. BS like putting two bare hands against an incoming strike.

Edited by - Astra on February 08 2003 11:01:04

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way, the stuff listed in what Nihilanthic posted is alot better than trying to knock someone out with a crane kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool link! The unarmed hand-tohand looks like pretty straight forward BJJ technique to me as I browse through. In fact most of these techniques are pretty much identical BJJ techniques you see in Royce Gracie's book or the Renzo/Royler Gracie book. Their technique is very sound from a BJJ perspective, obviously they had some expert intstuction in preparing this.

I wish I could print all this stuff out at once to check it out.

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:38pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was an NCO in the Army and honestly, I'd wager 90% of your average soldiers don't really know dick about fighting. The focus is, rightly, more on skill with the individual weapon and not hand to hand fighting.

Hell, I've seen Ranger toughman competitions that looked like a pillowfight between two epileptics in a disco club. But to their credit, many Ranger "Bats" have hosted MMA fighters for seminars, including Royce Gracie.

Special Forces, however, do tend to train more in martial arts. A few of the SF guys I knew trained in Kenpo primarily, and some Judo.

The true edge a soldier has, and especially a Spec Operator, is a combination of trained, refined skill, and heart.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's an NCO?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast