Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:25pm

Style: hard work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a very similar shoulder problem a while back. I tried all the conventional physio and even some accupucture and a load of cortisone - nothing really worked. I could barely lift my arm over my head without pain. I ran into a CAT who does ART, and he fixed it. Hurt like hell, but it worked.

He also did some work on a nagging sciatic nerve and succedded where no Chiro or drugs did. I am sold on the therapy!

If I had the cash/time I would go for tune-ups regularly as I have scar tissue everywhere. I recently went for a full-body massage, (a gift) and everywhere the lady woked had some discomfort. She gave me her card on the way out, I guess she figured I could pay her mortgage!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I can't even tell you how I originally injured my shoulder. I'm not totally out of the woods yet but I can see the light. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds very similar to mine. Mine seemed to sort of creep in on me and slowly worsened. It actaully would feel a bit better if I worked it, but my range was severely hampered. I know that I had a habit of sleeping on that side with the arm bent - head on forearm, and that aggrevated the problem and caused circulation problems as well.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes When i would sleep on my left arm I would wake up in the middle of the night and my whole arm would be completely numb. this would happen once or twice a week. So this could be total Bullshit but I think that maybe the decreased blood flow to my arm could have made the injusry worse. Not sure. I try to sleep on my back now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey VM!

That's the exact same thing I would go through! I would wake up and my arm would be numb/tingling.

The ART that really hurt/worked was one where he would pull my hand back, as if I was fully cocked for a puch, and he would dig his fingers into my shoulder (front) muscle, find something he did or didn't like, and then force my arm, with me pushing it, forward to full entension. Very painfull, but in my opinion, that is where I benefited.

Hope your therapy pans out. Nagging injuries without an apparent cause and/or remedy really suck!

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way I deal with my left shoulder is to lift. Make it stronger so it's not as much of a problem as it used to be.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Hey VM!

That's the exact same thing I would go through! I would wake up and my arm would be numb/tingling.

The ART that really hurt/worked was one where he would pull my hand back, as if I was fully cocked for a puch, and he would dig his fingers into my shoulder (front) muscle, find something he did or didn't like, and then force my arm, with me pushing it, forward to full entension. Very painfull, but in my opinion, that is where I benefited.

Hope your therapy pans out. Nagging injuries without an apparent cause and/or remedy really suck!
    My doc had me do the same thing. He also dug his fingers into the top of my shoulder and had my raise my hand straight up. Then he had me lay on my back while he dug his fingers into my armpit as I extended my hand up over my head. The armpit one was by far the most painful/beneficial for me. I got to a point where I was looking forward to the pain because I knew I would feel better after.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh YEAH.... I forgot about the armpit one (was about 8 yrs ago)... that one DID hurt like hell! The tearing and shredding and hair pulling - I must have blocked that one out.

I couldn't really strength train properly when it was like this as any movement above the shoulder, and even some raises and presses at or below that level hurt and sometimes inflamed the situation.

Note: anti-inflamatories never did anything for me other than rot my gut.

Genius

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's see, here is some good stuff about ART.

http://www.chirowatch.com/cw-mullen.html
    Mullen heads home after another crash - Edmonton Sun - December 16, 1998 - This is further testimony that chiropractors convince people that even recurrent concussions can be overcome with just a twist of the neck. Earlier this year Cary Mullen went to Colorado Springs to see Dr. Michael Leahy at the Champion Health Clinic. Leahy is one of North America's "chiros to the stars" and just loves the attention that these athletes bring to his practice. Mullen, on the other hand needed the boost he wanted to return to the other Crazy Canucks on the Canadian ski team. Even though he claims that 30 conventional medical practitioners could not help him, he went merrily on his way to the chiropractic sports wizard and returned after one treatment with the belief that his neck muscles were actually connected to the dura, the lining of the brain. By using his Active Release Technique ARTTM on Mullen, he convinced this seriously head-injured man to return to the ultimate collision path and downhill skiing. His numerous appearances on CBC undoubtedly resulted in more business for his clinic. Will Mullen head back to the Colorado for Christmas, for some more rearranging of his muscle-brain confluence, or will he finally hang it up and join the CBC as a colour commentator, a little less dizzy, but nonetheless ready for action?

I highly doubt that ART is a proven, effective and scientifically founded method of therapy. It is simply an extreme form of massage that works on people using the placebo effect.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 1:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self-contradictive statement.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast