Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Active Release Theraphy or ART

Over the past 6 months I've had a nagging shoulder injury. It steadily got worse, would ache at night and my shoulder felt very weak. I was concerned that I might have torn rotator cuff and went to see an orthepedic surgeon. He checked my range of motion, asked about how much pain I was in, took some x-rays and concluded that there was nothing wrong. He said that if it didn't go away within a certain periode of time then he would prescribe some physical therapy.

Anyway, I heard about Active Release Therapy on the web and decided to do a bit more research. I found out that the docotor that invented it is right her in the town where I live. So I make an appoinment and I've had about 8 visits. Basically he adjusted the joint and tendons as I was moving my arm through a range of motion. The therapy was very painful at first. The good news is, my strength is returning. I'm not yet 100% back to normal but ART has gotten me over the hump. I'm back to lifting and most of the pain is gone. It will still be several months before I'm back to normal but at least I'm on the way back.

So to make a long story short ART worked for me. If you're considering this type of therapy or if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 9:37am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had similar problems with my shoulder. It's an on and off thing that I'll probably have to manage for the rest of my life but I think I have narrowed down what the causes the aggravation in my case.

For me it was a case of better form in the gym, better posture and more "pulling" typed exercise along with various overall strengthening (since I can't help it if it goes out during hard sparring). Clinical Pilates also helped me learn correct action when performing certain movements so as not to create stress on my shoulder.

I visited a chiropractor, or a "bone setter" as they like to call it here and they performed similar range of motion exercises along with deep tissue massage on the affected shoulder. I've also had electro and ultrasound at one point which seemed to open up the tightness when it was really bad.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad you found something that helps VM, so what was your diagnosis? Sounds like adhesive capsulitis to me.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 9:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Glad you found something that helps VM, so what was your diagnosis? Sounds like adhesive capsulitis to me.
    I'm not really sure what the "offcial" diagnosis was. The Orthepedic doc didn't share it with me.

Here's funny little bit of info. For some reason when I sleep I always end up sleeping on my left side. The left shoulder is the one that is affected. Sometimes at night I wake up with shoulder in a lot of pain. I stand up, put my hands behind my back lace my fingers together and stretch my arms up behind me. My left shoulder POPs back into place and the pain goes away. weird.

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 10:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Always find out what your problem is.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 11:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Claus
    Always find out what your problem is.
    It's not that I don't know, it's just that I don't know the official diagnosis.

here's what I mean: The Orthepedic doc said, that it appears that I'm prone to getting these little tendonitis like injuries.

The ART/Chiropractor would say: That I have tighness or scar tissue built up in my shoulder that ART eventually smooths out.

I certainly understand you point though. I should know what exactly is wrong wth my shoulder.

One thing I do know is before ART I was on a downward spiral of pain with limited mobility. After ART I have more mobilty, less pain and am getting better. Thanks for the comment though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 1:46am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ART is some good stuff, so is a technique called Graston. both are very painful druing treatment, but get the job done. i'm looking into certification in either, as i have seen many ppl avoid surgery by such treatments.

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 1:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm interested in ART certification as well.
    Correct massage will break away scar tissue around joints allowing for more potential for flexibility and strength.

virtual_mantis - Have you compared ART with any other massage therapies?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Genius

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some healing 8oz of healing water I can sell you for $40.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 2:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer
    virtual_mantis - Have you compared ART with any other massage therapies?
    No I haven't. I heard about ART on another forum and decided to look into it. It turns out that Dr. Leahy's office is here in Colorado Springs so I gave them a call.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast