Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 5:10am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip Pointer Injury

I was training BJJ the other day and during a takedown I got dropped about five feet straight onto the back of my hip (the little point that sticks out just to the right of my spine) I think it's the top of the crest.

Anyway, the blow was so acute that I felt the pang through the mat onto the concrete below it. Now the spot I injured feels very bruised to touch and I walk with a limp as that spot gives way each step I take (unbearable when I run). It only seems to hurt when I engage in activities that create torsion on the hip but I seem to be able to keep working out doing linear exercises on my lower body (upper is fine), though it is beginning to spasm across to the left of my hip a bit.

Have any of you had this injury, how long did it take to recover and were there any long term repercussions?

Thanks.

dom
    Last edited by Postul8; 12/10/2004 5:15am at .

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 7:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hip pointer cost Bo Jackson his career.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bo knows hip pointers.

Did you see a doctor? What are you doing to help heal?

Like every other injury, it will depend on how bad you are hurt, what you do to rehab and how your idiosyncratic system heals.

One other thing, although there is always risk of when training, you probably shouldn't be dropped onto your hip from 5 feet in the air practicing takedowns. There is no takedown that requires this to happen in 'practice', there is no benefit to you or the person who did the throw/takedown.

No matter how tough you are, if I drop you on your hip from 5 feet up, you're probably going to be out for a while. It is one thing to train hard practicing high falls and high amplitude throws, but both the thrower and the throwee need to be at a certain level of skill and have a certain level of respect for each others body.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 4:26am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it's not like Bo's!

The day it happened I slept with a bag of ice over the injury, but since then I only just try to prevent the motions that cause pain. I haven't seen a doctor yet but I'm planning on going first thing Monday morning.

Iím happy to take a break from training to recover then work myself back into shape as soon as Iím fit again. Iím mainly only worried about possible long term repercussions.

We weren't training super hard but as I was lifted during a takedown, I tried to shift into a favorable position and in doing so got dropped. I'm guessing my partner lost his grip from all my moving as he apologized right after I finished him with a triangle choke.

---Just got back from the doctor, nothing broken which is a big relief. He basically performed range of motion tests and hip compression tests along the contours of my hip. I also got some prescription pain killers! :smileinbo ---
    Last edited by Postul8; 12/12/2004 5:34am at . Reason: Doctor Report