Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 11:59pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks you guys, this helps a lot. +rep for everyone!!
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 12:09am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is hard for me to get this from the mount. i tend to lean my weight alot when i do it and thus get rolled easily.
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 12:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will never work. The guy could just pop a boner and use it as a lever to wedge for some distance so he can buck you off. Then it's a chi sammich for you!

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 12:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eye gouge combined with hard groin biting will help you escape from this technique.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    was thinking about this choke this morning.....

I believe most of us apply this from the side mount, so I'm assuming we all apply the choke probably in a similar fashion, but to just make sure.....

When in side mount on your opponents right side:
    1) snake right hand (near opp legs) under opp and grab collar from underneath to hold him down

2) take left hand and grab far side of opp lapel with thumb inside lapel and choke forearm across the windpipe putting elbow on the mat

Assuming this is the way that most of us do it, I think an easy defense would not be letting your opp do step 1), as soon as he starts to try to snake that hand underneath to grap the back of the collar, start shrimping out of the side control -- this may be what separates noobs from vets, the vets can see it coming faster when step 1) happens
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, turn your head toward their elbow as well. That well lessen the pressure on your trachea. Unless they then modify it to a full ezekiel there is no reason to tap.

Forearm chokes are fun. Johnny and Omega, do you consider them very high percentage (obviously if they're there take them, I mean more whether or not they're pulled off much beyond the white - blue skill level.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are high-percentage. I've probably got this choke on more people than anything else. It's all about the set-up. If you can shut down his defense before he even realises you're going for the choke it'll be a lot easier to pull off.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 9:12pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    Assuming this is the way that most of us do it, I think an easy defense would not be letting your opp do step 1), as soon as he starts to try to snake that hand underneath to grap the back of the collar, start shrimping out of the side control -- this may be what separates noobs from vets, the vets can see it coming faster when step 1) happens
    Funny thing was, the guy I was rolling with waited until I was trying to shrimp out of side control to do it. Whenever I would put my forearm against his hips to push him out and try get my knee through, he would slap on the choke. Somehow, I didn't think of continuing the shrimp to try to get him back in guard.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 10:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I think they are high-percentage. I've probably got this choke on more people than anything else. It's all about the set-up. If you can shut down his defense before he even realises you're going for the choke it'll be a lot easier to pull off.
    Thanks, I get it a lot on guys around my skill level. Wasn't sure if that was simply my skill level or oke some moves that lose effectiveness against higher sikll levels.

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried it from side control yesterday. It'll work if you get a deep grip, but since I hate wind chokes so much I don't know if I'm going to be an ass and use them on others.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 12/13/2004 11:04am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast