Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 11:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to paraphrase the instructor, he's started up this XJJ thing so that he can give out whatever belts he wants, outside of "normal" BJJ.

I'm no expert on the teaching of BJJ and I have only ever been trained with Black Belts or higher, but I wouldn't be that comfortable doing the training if that were my achievement level. Mostly because of experience in matters not directly related to knowledge of techniques.

I'm not saying that this guy in Leicester isn't any good - just that in Judo (for example) things are heavily organised and regulated, and being a good fighter doesn't equate to being a teacher. Coaching licences and attendance at certain courses, as well as carrying appropriate insurance are all requirements. I know a lot of blue belts (BJJ) not all of whom have been choked out cold. Now if they started teaching, would they necessarily know what to do if a student gets KOed or choked out, or gets his balls kicked into his stomach?

I thought that the "tradition" was for a black belt to come to a country and start up a school himself. When he's formed a hardcore of tough guys, then he can hand the teaching over and go back to Brazil or whatever. It seems a bit harsh that the next guy up the ladder is Royce - and he's in California.

Challenges and such are not common at all in schools in UK, but surely the guy starting the school (ie putting his name on the door) would have to be confident that his representative can look after himself.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 12:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt from Royce is equal to a black belt in any other martial art and is held in high esteem indeed!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 12:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taken from one of my earlier posts for your edification on Royce Gracie affiliate schools:

----

When I was first looking for a BJJ school, when my entire frame of reference were some UFC highlights and I was thinking 'Wow, that's cool, I wonder if I can do stuff like that", I ran across a supposed Royce Gracie school in my area. "Royce Gracie, wow! He's famous!" thought the naive me at the time, as I'm sure most martial arts noobs would.

Luckily for me, I went to Gracie Barra Tampa first, but later I found out more about this Royce Gracie school from the guy's at BJJ. It turns out that the "BJJ instructor" over at this place is actually a blue belt from our school. By blue belt, I mean "he got his blue belt and never showed up for another class". And it was just a few months before he was suddenly advertising himself as a Royce Gracie affiliate.

Not to degrade my own school's blue belts, but I am about to get one myself, and I know I do not have enough experience and understanding of BJJ to formally instruct a class. Perhaps I am really, really spoiled at my school, but I would consider it a rip-off to learn from anyone lower than an experience pueple belt. So for people to be going to a "Royce Gracie, wow!" school and learning from someone with probably less BJJ experience than myself (I've at least competed) is a disheartening thought.

Here's some material evidence of this school, for those wondering. Blazing yellow emphasis mine:

Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Network of Dunedin, FL
    Address: Dunedin TaeKwonDo Academy
    Source: http://www.roycegracie.tv/network/index.htm

Here's the school's site. You can make your own judgments on it:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/Dunedintaekwondo/

But don't miss the image below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000011.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	2761  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 6:05am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who gives a **** about belts - how old are you guys? Does the guy have skill or not and can he pass it on to you. Is he charging a reasonable price for that?

I don't blame him for not giving you an extended run down of prices and all the rest on the phone, most people who call are time wasters and never turn up anyway.

As for "Levo"...lol...don't always believe the hype.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga Din
    Who gives a **** about belts - how old are you guys? Does the guy have skill or not and can he pass it on to you. Is he charging a reasonable price for that?

I don't blame him for not giving you an extended run down of prices and all the rest on the phone, most people who call are time wasters and never turn up anyway.

That's got to be the ignorant statement of the year.

Since BJJ belts are given out as a direct reflection of your fighting ability, and the guy in question is teaching BJJ (not Thai, or wrestling or JKD) his belt is totally relevant. The question of whether he has the skill or not is of direct relevance to his BJJ grade.

Cult Fro'

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Gracie Barra JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    free pop ups, urghhhh#

urgh, look at the gallery, urghhhhh

shitty shitty shitty.....

urgh is that a 5 year old black belt

shitty.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga Din
    I've been to two seminars he's run and thought he was an excellent teacher and theres no denying that he's a nice guy.

I take it you've had different experiences?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 4:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a reasonable mat technician but not somebody I'd learn from for outside of a sports environment

Taking a break

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't argue with that. Where do you train?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 7:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That's got to be the ignorant statement of the year. Since BJJ belts are given out as a direct reflection of your fighting ability,"

I guess you didn't read Aesopian's post: "By blue belt, I mean "he got his blue belt and never showed up for another class". And it was just a few months before he was suddenly advertising himself as a Royce Gracie affiliate."

A belt is not a direct reflection of your fighting ability, it's a direct reflection of your ability to pass whatever the test requirements are. As far as I know, there aren't any schools that require you to have real fights to get a grading.

Sam - these days I just train with a few friends and at various seminars, mostly the BCA crowd, but will try anything out.

What rankled most with NL is his view of "in a fight only three things matter, stand-up, clinch and ground". Hard to put that into any sort of non-sports perspective.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12