Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 2:42pm

Style: Sleeping / Studying

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GJJ Leicester

Hi guys, i have been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks and i really enjoy reading the posts. Anyway, i came across this GJJ club that is quite near my home - http://www.bjjuk.com/. It is taught be a GJJ blue belt as far as i can tell. Anyone has any prior experience with this club? What worries me is that the website does not list any prices! The club owner (or whoever it is that is responding to emails) also refuses to tell me the costs of training; my enquiry regarding costs was met with something along the lines of call us for an info pack or come down and we will answer your enquiries.

IMO, there really isn't any good reason for not listing prices and well... i really do not agree with such a pocily... It feels like they have something to hide (maybe the prices are extortionate?)
    :(

Edit: just read the email again and i omitted to mention that the reply was to come down, have a look and then i can book a free lesson to try GJJ.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwflee; 12/09/2004 2:45pm at .

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty wierd, but for blue belt instruction they can't charge THAT much
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    without knowing a thing about the school, or even clicking your link, i'd guess that you're just getting set up for a hard-sell sales pitch. doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good value, but i'd be prepared to endure a pushy guy acting like he's cutting you a "special deal" regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixen
    without knowing a thing about the school, or even clicking your link, i'd guess that you're just getting set up for a hard-sell sales pitch. doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good value, but i'd be prepared to endure a pushy guy acting like he's cutting you a "special deal" regardless.
    I agree with Vixen. Not to mention I'm getting turned on by the pictures of reindeer sex in the avatar. Ooopps, was that my outer voice? ...and did I just type it no less and hit submit? :icon_sile
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be prepared for a "oh, there's also a sign-up fee" right when you're writing your check. Happened to me (different school). I was about ready to punch the guy. Then I realize, this guy has years of MT, JKD, and Kali experience and I don't. So I didn't.

PL

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 5:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to start training at this place, it's entirely up to you, Royce was hanging around giving out belts in the UK a few months back, so the school must be accredited.

The thing is, you would only be training with a blue belt, and one who has his own style and grading system - where black belt is somewhere around about a BJJ blue belt. Draw your own conclusions from this. (In fairness, it could be that he's done this so that students can be graded without Royce having to show up. There doesn't seem to be another Royce Gracie Lineage person in the country.)

If you like, send a polite email to submission fighting UK (sfuk.net) and ask about alternatives, or make the trip to Gracie-Barra Birmingham and compare what you learn there with what you learn at GJJ Leicester. If you really want to make comparisons, try Alliance in London (Roger Brooking), Roger Gracie Academy in London or the Neil Adams Effective Fighting Academy in Coventry.

You can't say no to trying out a BJJ school that is so close, but as it seems pretty cut-off you'd have to make sure you know what you're doing in terms of progression, sparring partners and grading.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 10:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nathan Leverton teaches in Leicester.

http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/leicestershoot.html

He's frickin excellent.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 11:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor is only a blue belt, he can't possibly give out any belts in bjj.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 11:33am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt is shitting you if he gives out anything higher than a white belt.

It just occured to me that most members on this board have probably never trained with high belted BJJ guys. Take my word, the difference in skill between a blue belt and a black belt is so great as to be comical.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 12/11/2004 11:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 11:40am

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL @ the lineage comment!

go check it out, see if you like it, then decide for yourself, other wise seek alternatives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast