OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm so confused.

I went to check out a BJJ school today. I get there, and see "American Colleges of Karate". I get scared. I walk in, and the place is real big. They have 2 training areas divided by a wall, but no door. One side, I see some older guys getting ready for BJJ (mats down, stretching, etc), and the other class I see kids half my size running around screaming. I'm pretty much ready to leave at this point. I mean, the kids weren't even paying attention. One girl (a black/yellow belt) was walking around, not doing anything. Oh, and the class was being taught by this guy with some sort of grey belt and a black gi. Oh, and he was also about twelve.

Then the BJJ class started. I've never taken grappling before, so I didn't know what to expect. I saw some warm-ups, then technique work, followed by sparring. Didn't look too shabby to me. Apparently these guys do well in the tournaments they go to (didn't see any medals, I was only told so), and they also do NHB stuff after you hit blue belt. The instructor is a brown belt, but he couldn't make it to class, so someone else took over.

Back to the kiddies. First they did some Kata. Then they did grappling. I was like "wtf?". Their instructor (a small woman, no more than like 90lbs) got on top of a little kid (no more than 60lbs) in a mount. Then said "what do you do to get out?", random yelling of moves from the other kids, followed by a "right", then somehow the kid got on top, I think it's called the guard position, it looked like this:

The instructor was on the bottom with her legs wrapped around the kid (sexy). Then I think it was it. She later had a aerobic kick-boxing class (only wavemasters... no pad work or sparring).

So I'm confused as to how a school that teaches quality stuff can be in the same location as something just bleah.

PL

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called paying the bills. Yes that is guard position.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 11:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, while I'm grappling in class, there's ladies using the X-trainers, guys sweating it out on the exercise bikes, weight lifting nerds gurning into the mirrors, people rowing for dear life and generally a bunch of non-grappling related crap going on around me.

Conclusion - who cares as long as the training is good.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was comparing how a good MA class is so close to a McDojo class. (A belt that has black and yellow??? 12-year-old instructor?)

PL

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 3:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I was comparing how a good MA class is so close to a McDojo class. (A belt that has black and yellow??? 12-year-old instructor?)

PL
    I'd assume they're just renting the same space.

Where I used to do karate, ballet and yoga classes were available on different days. No big thing?

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 4:04am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it simply gives you more opportunity to show off you manly muscles to beautiful ladies ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

I'M SAINT NICK, BITCH!

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 4:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah little one you shouldn't sweat such things.

In a rather kick ass Kyokushin school in OK a Gymnastics and Shaolin Wussy...er Wushu Class was held as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 4:31am

Style: b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where I took kung fu there was a Judo school. Needless to say, i converted.

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 7:55am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're kids what do you expect, I mean it happens. Of course they arn't going to be as well behaved as adults in class. Just because they need to make things a bit more intresting for the kids, dosn't mean it's a McDojo.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a fun karate class (did sweep take downs til I was woozy last nite) in a gymnastics gym with stud guys on bars and rings on one side wearing no shirts - jerks, kiddies going on another and little honeys bouncing around. Oh well, if things go slow there's always something to distract me.

One of the gymnast guys (I'd kill to get his body) left his group for the second time in a couple weeks, and came over and did takedowns and full power spin kicks with us. I hate him.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/10/2004 4:10pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez