Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes.
    Its two sets, one is up to 3rd dan I think, the other advanced.

Here are the links:

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...at=276&page=10

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...at=276&page=10

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 1:18pm

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 1:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anytime.

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 10:03pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so if there drills why's he and every other aikido guy doing them in concert halls and having people take pictures. why would you show or for that matter drill techniques that would never work in real life. **** some of those videos it look like the guys just fall on the ground.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    so if there drills why's he and every other aikido guy doing them in concert halls and having people take pictures. why would you show or for that matter drill techniques that would never work in real life. **** some of those videos it look like the guys just fall on the ground.

It's called a demonstration retard...but aikidoka also do freestyle like that as a drill. And before you go around judging people, perhaps you should experience their technique first and find out first hand if these guys just 'fall over' or not. I can introduce you to some of the guys that are 'falling to the ground' in those vids and have you 'experience' their technique...perhapse you'll change your mind then.

Besides, anyone in aikido who says that kind of stuff is 'real' is full of ****. There is no way that a three on one, or a four one or five on one fight would look anything like that, and anybody who's worth their salt in aikido would recognize that in a second. But that's not the point of the exercise. It's to train awareness, timing and distance, not to simulate a 'real combat situation'. As Ronin said, it's drill, get over it.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 11:10pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a question: Does Aikido actually WORK? Honestly? What moves are applicable to actual street defence? What skills or traits are actually trained that would make Aikido beneficial in any sort of non-drill, non-randori, unprepared, unrehearsed situation? Does Aikido actually work on fully resisting opponents that are NOT charging at you with their hands up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Just a question: Does Aikido actually WORK? Honestly? What moves are applicable to actual street defence? What skills or traits are actually trained that would make Aikido beneficial in any sort of non-drill, non-randori, unprepared, unrehearsed situation? Does Aikido actually work on fully resisting opponents that are NOT charging at you with their hands up?
    Yes. And, no, I'm not just saying that to defend aikido either. There is a lot of shitty aikido and a lot of shitty aikidoka who couldn't use this this stuff to defend themselves against renegade midgits. In my experience it has worked fine against fully resisting and trained attackers, and I have fought judoka, karateka, thai boxers, jiu jutsu students, boxers, wrestlers, TKD, etc. I think it stands up to anything if you know how to use it right. But then again, so does any martial art. I've met thai boxers whose heads I've buried into the pavement, and I've met TKD students who were amazing. It's all about who you train with, how you train and how good you are at using what you've learned....just like any style.

As for street effectiveness, the whole point of aikido (at least Yoshinkan aikido) is to be ready all the time, unrehearsed, unprepared, non-drill, whatever. We learn a lot of techniques that are impractical, ones that I would never use, but the point behind the stuff we learn is to develop things like a strong centreline, to focus your power, develop timing, control distance, take balance, things that make any fighter a good fighter. Once you learn the principles, the techniques don't matter. I would just as soon cave somebody's head in with a punch or kick as I would throw them or try to use a joint lock. Whatever works. But whether you are a boxer or a grappler, learning to read your opponents intent, relaxing, having a strong centre, and focusing your power are all useful tool to have and are skills that some of the best fighters in any art possess.

Of course, the odds of you finding a really good aikido school are pretty slim (unfortuantely)....but then again, what are the odds of finding a really good TKD school, or karate school....just as slim I would wager.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 12:10am

Style: Karate, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are those who are practical (such as Yoshinkan, Takemusu, and some Aikikai) and some who are completly useless as their approach has completly deteriorated from martial ways to some semi religious,nature loving cults.

go this website -Melbourne Yoshinkan Aikido for some clips:

http://www.aikidoshudokan.com/

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 12:19am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ryoku: I understand the principles of Aikido are similar to the principles of many other martial arts, and I agree with you on your points.

What I was really wondering, however, is how much of the flowing falls and throws actually factor into "practicality". So does a realistic application of Aikido incorporate those smooth and impressive looking throws and locks, or is that trademark Aikido people-flying-everywhere style completely different from it's real application?

Basically I'm thinking, is "realistic" Aikido really graceful throws and takedowns, or is it more of a standup grappling with joint-locks kinda thing (in which case Judo would be a better alternative)?

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 7:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AIkido works, it just won't look so "pretty" as in the demo clips.
    I ahve bounced with 2 guys that used aikido as their "main art", and they did very well, made me get into aikido for a bit.
    Thing is, it ends up looking more like "jujutsu" than "typical aikido".
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast