Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chushin Ryoku
    The intensity and pace of the course are what make it difficult. They essentially do the same kinds of things that any yoshinkan dojo does, but is far more intense and sometimes brutal. Injuries are not uncommon, people fainting and passing out, broken bones, or people who just plain quit. The course is designed to test your willpower as much as it tests your endurance. And this kind of fast pace, intense training is maintained for about 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week for the entire year.
    so basically just the throws and falls done with greater intensity and/or speed?

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iwama has their own senshusei course? That is interesting. Is it run by Saito Sensei? Do you have any other info on it, I'm quite curious. We're not talking about kenshu or the uchi deshi program right?
    I have absolutely no knowledge of the iwama dojo, an iwama style dojo in a small village in cambridgeshire, UK runs (or at least ran) what I think they called a senshusei course. The students lived around the back of the dojo which was built on the teachers land and as part of the rent and traing fees they had to help with site maintainence.

Unlike the typical unchi deshi the system was open to people of any rank, there was a green belt from another style and an orange belt working through the system as I trained there.

N.B. Despite what it looks like the place was not a cult nor a mcdojo and they let me train there for free in the mornings with the senshui when I didnt have school and could be arsed to drag myself out of bed in time.

None the less I am tempted to set myself up as a 5th dan and train up some slaves, errm I mean senshusei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 3:58pm

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    so basically just the throws and falls done with greater intensity and/or speed?
    The course itself takes all students back to the basics. It assumes no pre-senshusei knowledge, and starts all students off as beginners. You are taken through all the basic movements and training drills (much like kata's; yoshinkan has 6 basic movements and a basic stance which take a looong time to learn how to do properly). Then you are taught basic techniques (pins and throws) and breakfalls and eventually move on to freestyle (lots of thorws). So, ya, same old stuff, just grilled into you with hardcore training while people are screamig at you. But intense is highly intense. Breakfall classes where you are made to do 1,000 breakfalls (that will leave you with a nice blood soaked dogi) and an entire week spent doing suwari waza; kneeling techniques, which, if you never seen or done them before, it's the same aikido stuff from standig but on your knees instead. An hour of this is painful enough, but a week of it is just plain silly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 4:05pm

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    I have absolutely no knowledge of the iwama dojo, an iwama style dojo in a small village in cambridgeshire, UK runs (or at least ran) what I think they called a senshusei course. The students lived around the back of the dojo which was built on the teachers land and as part of the rent and traing fees they had to help with site maintainence.

Unlike the typical unchi deshi the system was open to people of any rank, there was a green belt from another style and an orange belt working through the system as I trained there.

N.B. Despite what it looks like the place was not a cult nor a mcdojo and they let me train there for free in the mornings with the senshui when I didnt have school and could be arsed to drag myself out of bed in time.

None the less I am tempted to set myself up as a 5th dan and train up some slaves, errm I mean senshusei.
    Ha! Slaves....pretty much, though. Sounds like an uchi deshi program to me. I know some aikikai places in the US that run deshi programs, and I know of one unofficial yoshinkan one in Canada, but the instructor has piss poor aikido, just like most of his students.

It can be tough training though. I did a 9 month kenshu program a few years ago and remember being a zombie for a days after some of those classes.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think some people realize that Aikido training can be intense. When you get going it can be like doing "up-downs" from high school football for an hour and a half. Fall down, get up, fall down, get up, and on and on. Also a lot of the throws done in aikido are based around wrist and elbows so they're pretty dangerous if you aren't careful. Add the small, powerful movements of Yoshinkan and you can have a dangerous situation. The Senshusei program sounds really cool, but on the other hand masochistic at the same time. To me, it seems to be emulating the pre-ww2 days of "hell dojo", but I think it's important to preserve the art in this way.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 5:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iwama has their own senshusei course? That is interesting. Is it run by Saito Sensei? Do you have any other info on it, I'm quite curious. We're not talking about kenshu or the uchi deshi program right?
    No, and as far as i know, never had.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 5:46pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onecardshort
    hunkers down for the inevitible backlash - look guys, I'm not with them...

Hiji & Chushin, look, while I like your positive attitude about aikido, please don't continue with the "too deadly", the "only available in...[insert style/dojo here]" etc. etc. It is up to aikido to get it's act together and decide what it wants to be and provide said level of training as a matter of course - it is not up to members of this forum to travel to your dojo in whatever country, provide the secret handshake and requisite letter of introduction to gain access to the "proper aikido"(tm).

Yes there's a lot of crap aimed at aikido, so what. Are you unhappy with what you have learned in aikido? If so, find another style, dojo whatever, but this type of challenge on bullshido is, I'm afraid, so passe it's not even funny anymore. Point out what you like and where you've found decent aikido and leave it at that please.

You're right when you say Aikido needs to get its act together. I wish they would do something about all the new age flower children that join up in an attempt to harmonize with their ki energy. (Please don't reply to this if you believe in the Celestine Prophecy!) This is what really bugs me about aikido.

On the contrary, I don't believe I was promoting aikido as "the deadliest martial art" nor was I saying "please come to my dojo". I don't like repeating myself. Go back and read the post again.

Ok, ok, I'll spell it out for you: I am very happy with what I have learned in Aikido..... Sorry let me start again .... I like aikido because it helps develop many of the same principles that provide success in other martial arts. I think those who train in the martial arts in general (including aikido) often over look these principles. Consequently, bad technique. I believe Aikido is meant (there is more to aikido then just going through the motions) to focus on them in particular (kihon dosa, kihon waza, etc.) and that's what is beneficial about it. I firmly believe that the principles it places emphasis on hold benefits in many training styles.
    Too many people discredit aikido because they want to do a "wicked" shionage or "kick ass" iriminage at first (meant with sarcasm). Before you can do these techniques proficiently you have to understand and develop proper movements through the underlying prinicples.

Have I used the word "principles" enough for you? Focus on them and your technique will be much better.

What else can I say other than this **** is way too hard to explain to people in writing.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to the club.......

Now eat **** aiki-fag!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 12:00am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats not how we eat **** in our dojo
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516