Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAlrdyNum
    Please list "experience" and modifications. Are you homeless?
    Bwahahahahahahah..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 8:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    from that link:
    You must first learn how to fight in all combat ranges, against all types of aggressors. It may seem like a lot, but its the only way you will be prepared for any eventuality. Therefore, you must learn the techniques and tactics of:

1. Firearms: Rifle, shotgun and handgun
    2. Edged weapons: Long and short
    3. Blunt weapons: Long and short
    4. Projectiles: Rocks, slingshots, bottles, knives, etc.
    5. Various kicking methods: Thai, French, African, Indonesian, Filipino, Korean, Japanese, American, etc.
    6. Various punching methods: Western, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Egyptian, Indian, English, etc.
    7. All types of close-quarter fighting methods: Filipino, African, Mongolian, Russian, Indonesian, Ethiopian, etc.
    8. Different standing grappling methods: Japanese, Swiss, French, Chinese, Korean, Turkish, German, etc.
    9. Various ground grappling methods: Brazilian, Indian, English, Japanese, Russian, etc.

In typical JKD fashion, this is overkill. Who has the time to learn all of these methods of grappling and striking, let alone learn them effectively? Also, why must I learn how the techniques and tactics of African kicks, or Indian punches, or Swiss grappling etc? If you learn an effective form of striking and grappling, the geographical origins of the techniques you might possibly come up against shouldn't really matter.

With regard to the weapons, who the hell uses slingshots in a fight? Plus where I live, people just don't get attacked with guns unless they're a criminal themselves.

From my experience (7 years as a bouncer), the things people need to learn are:
    (i) The psyschological aspect of the fight i.e. the pre-fight interview stage
    (ii) The Fence and sucker-punch setups.
    (iii) Basic defenses against headbutts and punches
    (iv) Basic ground defences
    (v) Maybe some weapons defence
    (vi) Basic kickboxing

Obviously there would be some differences for what women should train compared to men in terms of techniques, strategies and the psychological aspects.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 10:11pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Johnny

Good point about overkill. Regarding point (ii), what is the fence?

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 10:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The Fence" is a term coined by Geoff Thompson that refers to a person's stance when dealing with an aggressor. "The Fence" is your border - it's your protection so that people don't invade your personal space, allows your to stop incoming attacks, and set up your own. I did this for years without knowing a name for it.

There are many different types of "Fence". Mine was essentially standing with my hands-up, palms out in a non-threatening manner. I would try to talk my opponent down, by reasoning with him, making him distracted thus lowering his anger levels etc. If the guy tried to get too close (close enough where he could hit me with a headbutt or knee to the groin) then I would place one hand on his chest stopping him coming forward and keep my other hand up. The second hand is ready to fire a shot or provide a cover against a strike, but would look harmless because I was "talking with my hands", like an Italian person for example.

I would usually try to calm the person down and talk them out of violence, but if necessary I could fire off a right cross if I wanted, or my personal favourite - spin the guy around and choke him.

Geoff Thompson has a book on the fence: http://www.geoffthompson.com/books/B...he%20Fence.htm

I've flicked through it and it's well worth the money. It talks about using the guy's adrenaline against him, how to use the fence, setting up sucker-punches etc. Geoff Thompson worked as a bouncer in some of England's worst niteclubs and has had over 400 fights, so he really knows his stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2004 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Johnny

I like the fence!

I’m usually good at knowing when things are about to go south, so I typically hit them before they have gotten themselves physiologically ready. My motto is the same as Admiral Halsey’s, hit fast, hit hard and hit often.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 8:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    In typical JKD fashion, this is overkill. Who has the time to learn all of these methods of grappling and striking, let alone learn them effectively? Also, why must I learn how the techniques and tactics of African kicks, or Indian punches, or Swiss grappling etc? If you learn an effective form of striking and grappling, the geographical origins of the techniques you might possibly come up against shouldn't really matter.

With regard to the weapons, who the hell uses slingshots in a fight? Plus where I live, people just don't get attacked with guns unless they're a criminal themselves.

From my experience (7 years as a bouncer), the things people need to learn are:
    (i) The psyschological aspect of the fight i.e. the pre-fight interview stage
    (ii) The Fence and sucker-punch setups.
    (iii) Basic defenses against headbutts and punches
    (iv) Basic ground defences
    (v) Maybe some weapons defence
    (vi) Basic kickboxing

Obviously there would be some differences for what women should train compared to men in terms of techniques, strategies and the psychological aspects.

First, where did JKD come from ?? Roy Harris is BJJ.
    Second, IF and that is IF, you are gonna make MA your "life", like many of us have, learning and studying all those different, yet same, arts, is not only a good thing, it also alot of fun.
    The more MA you are exposed to the better, for so many different reasons.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 8:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanza Klaus
    The only SD specific thing we do is occasionally our coach will whip out a training knife with no warning during sparring. And sometimes he hires homeless people to ambush us on the way out of the gym...
    Just to clarify for lurkers I was serious about the training knife anf joking about the homeless people.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 8:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I am disappointed.
    * cancells trip to Atlanta *

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roy Harris is PFS, which is Vunak's system of JKD.

Personally, I'd prefer to study a few arts well, rather than learn a whole bunch of arts half-assed.

My problem with learning all these different arts is that it's a waste of time. It might be fun as you said, but Roy Harris says you need to know all of those things to be a complete fighter, which is obviously not true. Do you think Randy Couture would be any less of a fighter because he only knows Greco and FreeStyle, and not Icelandic or Swiss wrestling?
    Last edited by JohnnyS; 12/09/2004 5:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2004 5:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe if ronin had learned just a few blocks well instead of many poorly, he would be able to block those big haymakers.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast