Posted On:
    12/26/2007 5:03am

Style: Hiatus Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rainfall
    This is the original thread about Bakkido

http://bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6834
    Thanks rainfall. That's comedic gold right there.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 9:52am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just going to say, by rule of thumb, any art that ends in o and does not start with jud, probably sucks.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:04am

Style: Sambo, MT, BJJ, CH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    normally yes, however you're forgetting sambo ends in an O

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:57am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn it, now I need to work on a new theory.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMack11
    Yep. Where are you guys? Do you allow strangers to come in and roll some w/o having to pay?
    You know emetshamash (who is on this board and is my roomie) goes to your school. you should pm him

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    Plasma's not joking about the cosplay.

Myself, hopefully.
    hedge? are you going to jersey in a few months? we should talk about this...

me's got ideas

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 5:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bakido, BJJ, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just finished reading through this thread and the original thread and I can honestly say that my brain hurts now. It's sad to see individuals claiming that South Austin Karate (or whatever they are called now) is a McDojo but I can honestly see where they get this view. I'm not saying that I am advocating that SAK isn't a McDojo. I honestly cannot say since I have not been there in at least a couple of years. As for teaching bullshido (deception and ineffective techniques as I have come to understand the term based off of other threads), I don't think this is true as of when I left. I know many other dojos in Austin that are definitely McDojos and teach bullshido (the 8th dan freshman who was on my lacrosse team in high school senior year)

I just thought I'd explain a few things that I can remember that have been questioned but I have not seen answered in either thread.

Self-Defense perspective
    The techniques are effective if done properly (I've had to use them myself more than a few times). Unfortunately, the method of practice is not entirely one that I agree with. A compliant opponent is good for teaching but not the best for beneficial practice nor is one good for a belt test. The techniques that I recall were meant for practical/everyday self-defense. One such example is a set of techniques where an attacker was immobilized using a necktie. Others would be various types of grapples (basic to more intricate) an attacker might perform when approaching you.

Randori
    I remember being told periodically when the randori (it is called ryu de ryan I think. Spelling is definitely not right) was first introduced is that it was meant to simulate an attack. You were told to be aggressive and act like a real attacker. Since our intention was not to actually hurt the tori, if they tapped out you let up. Standard practice in most arts. For belt tests, these were increased in intensity. For example, my 1 dan bb test had the randori perform 100+ successive techniques (at the discretion of Sensei/belt test board/randori leader, mine was apparently over 150). The ukes were to attack and continue resisting while the tori performed a technique. If the technique failed or the uke's attack succeeded, automatic failure of the belt test and you have to wait a full year (though now it's apparently only half a year) for an instructor to evaulate your progress and determine whether you can go for another belt test again. There was also a time limit that started once the uke first makes contact and ended once you finished the technique (10 seconds at most I think). The speed of the randori was pretty fast. An uke may not have even been fully taken down when the next was already attacking. They also came from any different angle: in practice it was typically a clockwise or anti-clockwise rotation with an instructor/randori leader calling techniques while in a belt test ukes were pointed to by the randori leader. The randori was during belt tests was meant to fatigue the tori as an actual fight might do. This fatigue occasionally turns the randori into an injury inducing event. I broke/fractured a few digits and my patella during some of these randoris trying to simulate what an attacker might do or what I might do if being attacked.

After-school program
    It's a great after-school program in my opinion. This program emphasizes school which most MA programs in Austin don't do that I've noticed. Sensei made it clear that school was essential in comparison to the luxury of MA.

As I said, this is all what I remember. I mean they didn't have archery or knife throwing (which I don't entirely agree with in general but oh well) when I was still there. Honestly, I say check out the school. I think it's a decent basis for studying, at least for kids but is by no means something that should be one's main focus if one wishes to continue MA for a long time. If anyone would like me to explain anything further, I'll try to explain things as best I can or give my opinion but I don't wanna fight about it like some others have done. I actually moved on to Gracie JJ toward the end of high school when recommended by my lax coach but have put that on hold while in washington state for college and have consequentally been taking Kendo/Iaido with my housemates.

Technical problems I've been having: Going through the forums, some messages are completely missing even though they were there an hour or so before. This is not only from members who possibly left the website but random messages that are just not showing up. They also randomly reappear later.
    Also, the Bakido website appears to be gone. Is it just under construction or gone? I like to check up occasionally to see what they're up to. Anyone know anything about this?
    It's not just on my one computer. I've also done this on other people's computers.

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 6:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bakido, BJJ, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also forgot to mention sparring. Still optional when I did it, but it was with more regular occurrence than current students/instructors have mentioned. Before I left, sparring was a time slot/class that occurred year-round where students could spar. These sessions were unfortunately rather small in size. These were often to "the point" as was prevalent at the time with tournaments we attended. "The point" for those unfamiliar is a successful blow to the head, chest, or sides and occasionally the back. Once a point was made, the fight was broken up and another round was started again. However, because Bakido was such a new art, we often had trouble at tournaments with the paperwork process, so less people kept going to these. When that happened, less people decided to show up to sparring sessions since we never were required to spar in the curriculum but were always required at tournaments.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2010 1:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    At Vasquez Academy. You are in Austin, right?
    Doesn't Coach Vasquez sublet out of the bakido facility? I spoke with him recently and he told me he took the place over in the evenings when the kids went home.

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 2:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys just joined this forum after doing some late night surfing about my art. Thought I would let you all know that I currently hold a 4th dan in this art, and can honestly say that many things learned at this studio I have personally used in real life encounters. These days around the studio are not the same as they were 12-13 years ago. We actually did martial arts and yes the studio is now too much like a day care for me to continue to teach or go there. But there used to be contact yes and we used to wrestle and spar, often hurting eachother for fun. The art is still there just the quality instructing is lacking these days.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast