Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there you go, that should end all discussions about High Kicks.
    All the more reason not to use them. If it was used to knock down Mongols of High Horses, obviously it failed since Korea was a Mongol b!tch state for many years.
  2. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost,
    Yes, I know about the competition. I'll talk to you on the flip side about it.

As for chinese staff, certain forms are tranferrable by length. For instance, hsing yi spear and similar forms can be used for bayonet, which is also roughly broom handle length(with the rifle). It all depends on the form. There are actually a number of spear forms like the hsing yi ones that I've seen that are not much to look at, but look fairly realistic(exactly how many ways are you gonna move a spear without just being a showoff?) Then you've got stuff like the kilik stuff in soul kaliber. I'm sure the five or six spear/staff moves people did back when are in there somewhere. The rest is cool variations and flips.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool, Ken Oh. There's a Haidong Gumdo guy in my town, too. First time I'd ever heard of the art was a demo that they gave at a gungfu exhibition I attended. It looked pretty cool, but I know FA about sword arts (well, unless you include escrima, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

This thread got me thinking. You know what I'd *really* like to see/try? Different weapon arts sparring against each other! I think it's be pretty fun, as well as give you a lot of insight to the combat aspects of your weapon. For instance, I'd like to try my 6<sup>1/2</sup> point pole against your sword. I've tried the baat jaam do (butterfly swords) vs. escrima sticks and that was very interesting. Whadday'all think?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 7:56pm

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread got me thinking. You know what I'd *really* like to see/try? Different weapon arts sparring against each other! I think it's be pretty fun, as well as give you a lot of insight to the combat aspects of your weapon. For instance, I'd like to try my 6<sup>1/2</sup> point pole against your sword. I've tried the baat jaam do (butterfly swords) vs. escrima sticks and that was very interesting. Whadday'all think?
    The Dog Brothers are pretty good about letting people go at it with impact and flexible weapons. I don't think they'd be crazy enough to use edged weaponry though.

Their videos are fun to watch. . .pretty well convinces you there's not really any need to practice that uber-cool umbrella block anymore. Valuable training time is better spent beating the tar out of a tire.

Edited by - fragbot on February 07 2003 18:56:56

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 12:50am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To tell you the truth, we actually do that in our school. We try to train with as much realism as possible. For example, if we are training with a rope (not whip), who's to say that that cannot symbolize a shirt/jacket, or another flexible weapon. If we are training with a knife, who's to say that that can't symbolize a pen on the street.

Basicly, I'm trying to say most weapon training is pretty modern/realistic. (with the exception of Mcdojos)

Remember the time in the 6th grade where you got your ass-kicked by that 80-pound short-kid? Got BJJ?
    <marquee>Thai Boxing: Been kicking your ass since 1949.</marquee>

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the Korean martial arts could be blamed for their fall to the Mongols. The Korean peninsula by circumstance was more vulnerable to invasion by the Mongols than Japan (no Sea of Japan or typhoons to deal with).

BTW, is Labangon near Cebu city? It so happens that my mother and grandmother are native to Cebu, and through them I am related to the Canete family (my grandmother = Cacoy's niece). One of our relatives is going to host me for a month in the summer, I figure it's an opportunity to train at the Doce Pares HQ.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 2:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Oh, if I am not mistaken, I think Nevada was that state where you can legally carry a sword...?

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 3:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Oh interesting post, I didn't think Sword TMA/CMA's could be that extreme. I know some one who does Kendo, andapparently they don'#t go any where near fullcontact, and they can't even strike etc.

" Haidong Gumdo " - sounds interesting..

I agree with a lot of your post: but Notice "PeedeeShaolin"'s post: there must be a lot of injuries, and a lot of blood to clean up some of the time, if you reall go fullcontact with bamboo swords (which I'm quite sure hurt and can injure easily.)
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 3:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blood? Have you guys ever seen kendo armor?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2003 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pics and a vid at the bottom. The kid in the Gumdo armor is small, but it shows how complete it all is. It's all really flexible but you cook while inside (even more than Kendo armor) so the spars are usually only a minute or two.

I know that some Gong Fu schools do mixed weapon sparring, and that spear always has the advantage. Meaning, if you train with sword, you're usually going to train on how to beat spear. I've done some mixed weapon sparring, escrima vs. sword, bo staff vs. sword and I've seen naginata vs. sword (bo didn't work great, needed more range, we're thinking that it'd be better to use more like a spear). I guess with this new armor, you could use just about anything.

Not much blood. Kendo armor doesn't leave open but the elbows and the legs. Yet, this isn't a big deal since Kendo doesn't let those be striking points. Again, this goes back to the more restricted by rules a style is, the less realistic is is. And Kendo is VERY restricted by rules since they have to declare a definite winner at the end of each match. Either way, you can get a headache if you get spammed on the head too many times, and getting slapped with bamboo never tickles even with padding on.

Who are these Dog Brothers you mentioned?

I should look into moving to Nevada....

The video clip is of Gumdo sparring in Kendo armor, though it short and low quality, it gives a taste of what's up (ending is also just funny to me). Sorry about the geoshitties, copy and paste if it doesn't work to click on it. I'll see if I can get it over to my school account soon.

http://www.geocities.com/ken_oh_shin/MM_ASH1.ASF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast