• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 11:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure as to which direction I want to take this thread but mostly I want your opinions on the Arts practiced in the Philippines.

Where do you think most of its' background comes from? I can't help but notice the Spanish Lexicon used in Arnis/Eskrima/Kali/Cadena de Mano ect. At the same time, I can't help but notice glaringly Chinese tactics used in Kali.

My opinion of it would be that the Northern and Central Islands are a mixture of Spanish, Chinese, and Local fighting styles, the Southern Islands, distinctively Silat.

I guess my questions are, where does stuff like the Siniwalis come from? If you've ever done a Siniwali drill, its like you're fighting someone with 6 hands. Is there any European sword fighting styles that utilized double swords and struck like a Siniwali?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point , I pratice escrima and thinking about it there must be some spanish sword influence. Back when the islands where being invaded I do not think the locals had metal swords and that is what schocked them that the so called primative folks where kicking thier butts with sticks. I can also see where as the spanish stayed the sword play would be adopted. as always IMHO

Of course this hurts, after all it is not basket weaving.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well actually, we had a very refined Sword Culture, our most reverred warriors were called Pandays, which is kinda like a War Smith. I believe the answer lies, in what kind of Swords the Spanish brought to the Philippines, was it the Toledo blade? Or some hacking Sword?

Plus, you have to realize as romantic as believing that most combat occured between a Conquistador and a Datu is, I think it was usually more like Filipinos against other Filipinos. Spanish allies and Spanish enemies.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were a large number of european two weapon styles, so theres a good chance you'll see similarities in some of them.
    Can't think of any good sources off the top of my head though.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 12:18pm

Style: escrima, wc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see the thread "escrima" in the TMA forum. sheol has posted quite some information on the spanish influence on the FMA.

as far as i know sinawali was used as a dance to hide the stickfighting practice from the spanish occupiers. in my opinion it's much different from real fighting/sparring with two sticks.