Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I constantly see threads about getting into fights to I guess prove something. Not legitimate training, sparring but people going out wanting to prove there "worth". Like Boyds silly little fight!! OK. Maybe I am wrong, but would some of you who are police or other law enforcement professional please explain to this board the possibly serious ramifications from fighting in theaters while other employees and management watch, going into difficult areas of a city and looking for trouble. Even these challenge matches.

THERE ARE PROPER WAYS TO TRAIN. By the way, even when I took TKD we sparred heavily!!! "Light" contact no padding.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It raises an interesting question of when consensual become nonconsensual. To my liberal leftist mind, two people engaging in a consensual act that has no impact on anyone or anything else should be free to do so, regardless of what that act is, be it fighting, sex, euthenasia or assisted suicide.
    However, the moment such a thing becomes nonconsensual, legal and social responsibility must come into play, and as such, dealt with harshly. I also believe that there should be a minimum legal age at which consent can be given, ie. around 16.
    To round it off, I believe that Justice, not the Law should be the police and courts main concern. Heh... that would make the politicians run for cover :)
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 9:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris - I agree, but youth can be tempered with alittle prudence. For example:
    I get the feeling Boyd is someone who wants to be more then he is! Thats good. His approach I question. He like BJJ, but I take it he can't get the training he wants. Maybe I am wrong. I have a similar problem. But I am a ex grunt. Meaning. Never get stopped, look for alternatives. I showed the post about the Army Combatives manual. Also, sites like BJJ.org. Plus, unlike Tai Chi, I do believe you can learn alot on your own by study and practice in BJJ (not that its anything less then Tai Chi, lets not start that). What I mean concepts are more straight forward for the most part. Thats why the Army chose it. So alls Boyd has to do it get a friend, a running area, some wieghts, and practice. He doesn't have to "fight" at work!!! Thats stupid! What if he would have caught the other guy or the other guy caught him, and someone would have got hurt! YOu guys are mostly BJJ, you know that it is safer to spar with then striking!

Hell, I am ranting....but this is "Bullshido" we should have more discussion about the good and bad in martial arts...

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 9:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "going into difficult areas of a city and looking for trouble -"That however is moronic. Who did that?"

Whispering.... Jamoke! Way earlier thread.

Boy, I wish Fukfu was back to discuss this.

Titan

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 9:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Mr Harber.

If people get hurt doing something they consented to it's their own fault.

If two people want to fight let them.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 9:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I agree with Mr Harber.

If people get hurt doing something they consented to it's their own fault."

This is why I would like to hear from someone in law enforcement. Case in point, suppose Boyd got in a good shot, and say, by accident, caught the other guy in the throat. Say he went down, and started to choke, and went unconsious. Say paramedics had to be called, and people started to ask why this happened. The verbal agreements are not going to carry weight. People will get scared, and problems could escalate. Point is. Unless it is self defense, keep the sparring to legitimate training environments. Spar often spar hard, but do it right.

Some may think I am reading way to much into this. Maybe I am. I just believe things can happen fast, and in a split second your life can change. Take calculated risks!!!

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 10:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a thing called mutual combat, which is what you're talking about. Both people want to fight, so they do.

1) Caused, attempted to cause, or threatened to cause physical injury to another person (Mutual Combat) [Education Code 48900 (a) (1)]
    Mutual Combat means two or more students are both actively involved or engaged in fight. AN incident may begin as a battery but end as a mutual combat. For example, if an aggressor hits another student, and the victim strikes back and becomes engaged in a fight with the aggressor, this becomes mutual combat.

Here's the general def of mutual combat, as taken from a school's rules/regs:

1) Caused, attempted to cause, or threatened to cause physical injury to another person (Mutual Combat) [Education Code 48900 (a) (1)]
    Mutual Combat means two or more students are both actively involved or engaged in fight. AN incident may begin as a battery but end as a mutual combat. For example, if an aggressor hits another student, and the victim strikes back and becomes engaged in a fight with the aggressor, this becomes mutual combat.
    2) Willfully used force or violence upon another person [Education Code 48900 (a)(2)].
    If an aggressor strikes another student and the victim does not fight back, this is a battery. If two students are actively engaged in a fight, but one stops fighting or is no longer able to fight back, and the second student continues to beat him or her, this incident has turned into a battery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I think tis a good idea to spar/fight with a friend. The chances of anyone having hard feelings and escalating it are lower, and when it does someone is there to take your a$$ to the hospital.

My dumbass friend clocked me in the groin yesterday while sparring. Hurt like a bytch. But no biggy, I'm not gonna cap his a$$ or nothing, I'm just gonna hold the choke a little bit longer next time I get him to tap =P.