Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just found out the hard way that my taiji classes are indefinately cancelled (I turned up, nobody else did). The instructor has finally decided to get something done about his shoulder injury (motorbike accident) and has cancelled until further notice. I still can't do aikido because of my knee injuries so I've got bugger all to do. The only friends I can spar with are 2 girls half my weight who do TKD.
    So, what the hell do I do? I don't know any other decent taiji clubs in the area, I'd love to do bjj or something, but my knees aren't up to it.
    Am I just fundamentally screwed for the time being?
    Laughter and mockery would be much appreciated.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Sam, I went and lifted for several months with out doing ma once. It was ok. Atleast I got to look a little better. And maybe you could hit the bag. Have you tried thumb wrestling?

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would involve getting a bag. Not a bad idea though. No idea what thumb wrestling is though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam, does the Tse Qigong centre in Manchester offer any type of training that would be suitable for you ? I rang them up once with a query about Wing Chun and they seemed quite helpful (0161 929 4485)

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 7:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked in your profile but couldn't find anything.

Why are your knees so bad?

My logic must be flawed somewhere here but,
    wouldn't BJJ be one of the safer ones to do with bad knees as it doesn't really involve kicking at all - mostly ground grappling.

PS - I am basing this on someone at my center. He has two shot knees (motorcycle crash) and can't really kick at all. However, when we're doing ground grappling he can still go.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on the kind of injury. Tennis knee(is that possible?) would be no kicks...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude,

My cuz jut did the replacement thing on his knees. He is already playing hoops. The man is superhuman.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 10:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That would involve getting a bag. Not a bad idea though. No idea what thumb wrestling is though."

eh... ask a seven year old.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 10:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and Sam, thinking of you reminded me of the days we'd work out and after head to a bar and have one beer each to "cool down." Or sitting in the dojo sucking crab and drinking beer. Ah, the joys of cold beer and good company.

Now these darn heck Mormons here go for icecream, but it just isn't the same.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 4:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got hit by a car while cycling about 8 years ago, since then my knees have been slowly degenerating. A few weeks ago something went in my left knee, just below the kneecap, that means I can't kneel down without it being stupidly painful, which pretty much rules out any groundwork. I've got an appointment with my doctor next week (it only took 3 weeks to get an appointment... I love the NHS)
    Sanchin - cheers for the number, I'll see what they have.
    Pat - I'm afraid of small children. Actually, any children. I'm afraid I'm destined to always lose at thumb wrestling then.
    I'm going to definately give arm curls and rehydration therapy a go in the meantime.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast