Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A beginners guide to Grappling

So I tried grappling tonight.

And the only knowledge I have of it, is some basic Judo throws, some leg sweeps and some experience in joint locks and chokes. But not a great deal of it.

I beat 2 other beginners, mostly I think, just through better co-ordination, balance and reflexes. I did get on the rear naked choke on one.

And I grappled with 2 assistant instructors and after that the senior instructor [Who has trained in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu] all of whom quite soundly thrashed me.

One guillotined me when I went to grab his legs. One, having failed to hip throw him, threw me on my head and choked me out. And the instructor after flooring me, I went strength against strength trying to prevent him getting an armlock on me. But he slammed some swift punches to my ribs and then having distracted me, got the armlock and made me tap.

This probably all sounds like standard stuff, but I really don't know very much about what I've done tonight.

As they were explaining to me the principles and ideas behind grappling I realized I was a total, total beginner. Worse still was that I'd actually believed before tonight that I was quite alright with regards to takedowns and groundwork.

So if there is helpful threads, internet articles. I'd just like a beginners guide to grappling. The ideas, the most commonly used moves, what training should I do to help it [Obviously the more I roll the better.] etc. I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou very much.

EDIT: I've been reading the forums for ages, but only registered and posted recently. It's because of reading the forum I've decided to take up grappling and Muay Thai.
    Last edited by Ragnarok2006; 3/04/2007 4:42pm at .

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:48pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think going to class is your best bet if you want to get better. Reading books and articles will give you theory, but the gap between theory and practice is HUGE.

Also your text is hard to read, why not stick to default.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a beginner's guide, a beginner's guide...

a: go to class. no excuses.

b: do what your instructor says, not what you read on the internet.

c: position before submission.

d: your training partners' safety is in your hands - and yours is in theirs. be careful.

e: don't type in colors.

f: cut your goddamn hair.

g: welcome to bullshido!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree Agreed wholeheartedly.

I wouldn't miss class and I am learning.

But... While I'm not at class, I would like to be reading something that would help. Or is theory just for traditional Martial Arts?

Thanks very much. :)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend Renzo Gracie/John Danaher's "Mastering Jujitsu." It won't make you any better (at a beginner's stage) but it's an interesting read and goes a long way to concisely explaining why you do a lot of what you do.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your edification.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:13pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    I recommend Renzo Gracie/John Danaher's "Mastering Jujitsu." It won't make you any better (at a beginner's stage) but it's an interesting read and goes a long way to concisely explaining why you do a lot of what you do.
    you should be worshipped for that avatar. did you photoshop that yourself?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    For your edification.
    ^^^ What he said.

I'd also recommend (after and IF you begin to train) to get Passing The Guard and The Guard by Ed Beneville and Tim Cartmell as well as Grips (Judo Masterclass Techniques) by Neil Adams.

However, take this and any other recommendation on books with a grain of salt. If you have time and money to train regularly and yet spend more time reading than training, there is something fundamentally wrong in what you are doing.

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    you should be worshipped for that avatar. did you photoshop that yourself?
    I wish. Nah, I just found it randomly on the internent and thought "holy ****! that would make a good avatar!"
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 4:29am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But it looks like you in the picture!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast