punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boston Newspaper Headline Slams Sport Fighters

Hey whats up Bullshido people. I'm a fucking newbie here and wanted to drop in and say hi. I generally like some of your ideas here and respect the way you do things (props to the guys who punked ashida kim) and analyze martial arts. Although some of the guys here seem to think theyre the martial arts police and be short-sited and closed-minded (falling into their own bullshido trap) as to what "styles" (usually their own) work, but then that can be entertaining to read too. Just had to get that dig there, ha.

I saw this Headline on a Boston paper this morning while i was getting coffee and almost spit coffee out my nose. The entire front page is pictures of Sean "The Cannon" Gannon from his fight with Kimbo Slice, which was going around the MA community a few weeks back. It totally rails against reality fighting. Some of this I posted on another MA forum I occasionally post at. I was bored (hell, its friday..) was curious to see the different responses I might get here (see if they would be much different), and decided to drop in and introduce myself here.

click here for story---> Boston Herald: Cop On The Beat

The full-page headline of the Boston Herald today slams Boston Police Officer and MMA fighter Sean "The Cannon" Gannon for his video taped fight with Kimbo Slice. You'll recall this fight (Gannon's victory over Kimbo) was making its rounds on MA forums a few weeks back.

Leave it to a rag like the Herald (a consistently terrible newspaper) to sensationalize this and put the spotlight on the 'horrors' of sport fighting. This will probably force the Boston Police to publicly investige Gannon. Major bad press for sport fighting in this state, hopefully there won't be a push to ban it now. And hopefully Gannon can go on making his living, I'm sure he puts himself on the line a lot more and works harder than the Herald reporter who wrote the story will ever understand.
    Sure, 2 guys beating the hell out of each other isnt glamourous but thats what they trained for; theyre professional fighters.

Well, maybe all the negative publicity will give him enough notariety and infamy to actually help his MMA career, who knows...
    Its still very bad press for sport fighting in this state, and martial arts in general. Real fighting is brutal. I suppose this is why sifu's and others have taken something that is inherently violent and remade its image as something mystical, spiritual and benign. Even the gentlest, mellowest stereotypical internal stylist (not that i think this is true of all internal stylists) is practicing to potentially maim another person, no matter how philisophical, sugar-coated or far removed from reality fighting. Maybe its better left under this facade, at least as far as the general public perceives it... What do you think?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That didn't seem like much of a slam.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.heraldinteractive.com/contactus/index.bg

Send letters to the editor. Stick up for the lad, sportsfans. Keep it clean and civil. In an interview Kirik Jenness said that it was a good thing to put for the immage of MMA as a hard, skilled interesting sport, not a freak show (I'm paraphrasing.)

I'm writing mine now.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are an illliterate profanity and outrage-spewing ogre, do not send letters, thanks.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I'm wondering, how'd the Herald get those pictures? Anyway, the article isn't really that bad, it's objective if ignorant, but the pictures are going to go over like a lead balloon with the public.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:42pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found nothing upsetting in that article. The front page was a little extreme though.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    That didn't seem like much of a slam.
    I'd agree with this assessment in regrds to MMA. The only slam would be that a cop would do something like this.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't newspapers need to own the rights to pictures they use? So unless they paid somebody for them, they stole them.

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    I found nothing upsetting in that article. The front page was a little extreme though.
    Because you do martial arts.
    And you likely don't have any delusions about flippity kicks, Bruce Lee etc
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not so much as a direct slam to MMA in particular, as much as a poor image and association for sportfighting in general. And the powerful negative imagery of the large front-page photos does the real p.r. damage. Doubt most people will bother to read thru the entire article where it briefly explains and quasi-justifies MMA. And its an attempted character assasination on Gannon's police career. The way the Herald plays politics around Boston, it may be another shot to discredit the police commishener and other elected law-enforcement officials, beyond the immediate story.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast