Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realise your joking about 'to the death'.

But considering UFC was virtually destroyed, and the only way it could be saved was by adding a ton of rules for 'fighter safety', then I don't think we'll ever see anything more violent on mainstream TV.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Realize I am not talking 5 years from now. Or even 10. Or even 20! But eventually our society is going to become less sensitive towards violence. I dunno how long it will take, but I have no doubt that it will eventually happen...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 5:52pm

Style: Sambo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh there's no doubt in my mind people are stupid enough. Of course, battle probably won't be to the death. Just till one of the combatants can no longer fight,

There's already Burmese Boxing, check this out:
    http://www.geocities.com/vandeelen/Pukulan/burmese/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty brutal...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 6:13pm

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Those of you that were alive when the first UFC was held, tell me, was it televised? Was it on PPV? Was it accepted?

I was there at the event. I was at both UFC I and II to be exact. At the time the only real interest was from harcore martial artists...people who trained a certain style and wanted to see how their representative did...friends of the fighters...and people who did "cage fighting" in bars and backrooms and wonder if the mainstream product would compare. For the 2 of you who might care I fall in the last category...plus I was a big fan of Ken Shamrock from my time in Japan and a not-so fan of Pat Smith who's ass I wanted to see beat. It was televised on PPV to moderate ratings. Enough to justify a few more shows at least.

>I think the point I'm trying to make is obvious. How long before tournaments where killing and maiming are completely legal become socially acceptable forms of entertainment?

Watch CNN sometime...the only difference is it's not billed as entertainment.

>How long before our families tune into the TV and we hear, "Welcome to ULTIMATE BATTLE PUGILISM: No ref, No rules, No mats, No pads.

That's actually pretty close to how the first 2 UFC's were billed.

>The only sport where steroids and methamphetamines are not only legal, but ENCOURAGED!"

Sounds kinda like how the UFC is portrayed today IM not so HO. Seriously tho'...MMA competitions, while gaining popularity are still not mainstream. Boxing is close to what MMA wants popularity wise but the geral puplic is not as knowledgabe about boxing as they are about other sports. With professional wrestling being as popluar as it is and has been, that tells me that american society as a whole prefers it's violence simulated and controlled.

jusy my $.05 (with inflation...we're in reccesion ya' know)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comparing CNN to an all out combat brutality competition is kind of silly.
    I suppose you could make some kind of vague connection with violence and entertainment, but the ideas are different.

And you are telling me there are people in america that consider professional wrestling violence? Or anything close to a sport competition? Wow...I consider it a soap opera.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Comparing CNN to an all out combat brutality competition is kind of silly.
    I suppose you could make some kind of vague connection with violence and entertainment, but the ideas are different.

I really need to lern how to convey sarcsm through typing better I guess.

>And you are telling me there are people in america that consider professional wrestling violence?

Yes. Staged violence is still violence.

>Or anything close to a sport competition?

I'm sure some people do see it as such. Just because you or I don't won't change that (how dare the hethens defy us)

>Wow...I consider it a soap opera.

You just made my point for me. The fact that you or I see 2 guys glamming it up for a storyline as a soap opera for rednecks does not take away from Pro wrestlings mainstrem popularity as opposed to other combat oriented forms of entertaiment (note the choice of word before yu fly off the hook). And fake as it is...pro wrestling is violence oriented...unless you see being slmmed in the head with a chair in some other light

Edited by - kempoist on February 06 2003 17:28:00

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose you're right...But is fake violence really violence? I guess it depends. In movies we know it's not real and people still consider it violence...But WWF just makes me laugh. I dunno why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back to the origonal topic...maybe a few christens need to be fed to the lions. Jerry Falwell comes to mind. (I'll never forgive the "Mother Theresa wasn't a real Christian" remark.)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12