Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2003 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well the roundhouse/hook kick that takes out 12 guys is always a fav.

then the Jet Li stick a pin in you and all the blood rush to the head and does not come , kiss of the dragon.

Of course this hurts, after all it is not basket weaving.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

***ned

Posted On:
    2/05/2003 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the ****, palm strike is fucking cliche now? Too bad it's one of the staples of any combatives course. Look into WW2 Combatives or any other pure combative teachings and you'll see the palm strike.

~
    delirious

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2003 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No crap. I said if you could hit with it it could be effective. It is no doubt cliche and has been for a while.

game dog

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yah. I suppose every strike has to connect to be effective. Including fists and elbows.

About the "eagle claw" thing: a couple of years ago, when I had even less of a clue than now, I was sparring with a friend who wasn't much of a ground technician either. I got back mount and tried something like a rear naked, he reached up to my throat with one hand and squeezed briefly. Before I knew what was happening, I had released my choke and tapped out. If I had known what I was doing, I probably could have gotten an armbar, but I didn't, so I didn't.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 10:34am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the ****, palm strike is fucking cliche now? Too bad it's one of the staples of any combatives course. Look into WW2 Combatives or any other pure combative teachings and you'll see the palm strike.

~
    delirious
    Palm strike isn't cliche. It's the idea that a properly placed strike to the nose can cause the bone to break and enter the brain instantly killing you. I've read that it's physically impossible.

What about the flying karate kick. Isn't being airborne one of the worst ideas in all of martial arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 12:02pm

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What about the flying karate kick."

That's more of a TKD and movie Kung Fu (Chinese Opera) thing than a karate thing, but yes. It's a silly idea. But it looks cool on camera.

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the most cliched and overused technique that no one/barely anyone wants to see (apart from in a Bruce Lee movie maybe) is the Hook Kick :|
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hook kicks can rule, you just have to train em right. I can get a knockout with em (and so could Bill Wallace back in the day)
    The way to train em though is to put a 25lb medicine ball on top of a wavemaster and practice hook kicking it off. It hurts like a bitch and is pretty damn difficult to make it do more than roll off. But once you can cleanly kick 25lbs off the top of an upright bag, I promise that a 10lb human head won't give you too much trouble.

-Potential problems: yes sometimes your foot will bind against their neck or head. But this usually wont happen if you have drilled your kick the way I said. You generally move their upper body to the side with it (or they roll with it) and your foot slides over the head. The only times I bind are when I miss my target and my calf hits their neck (no power, no follow through, time to get your ass beaten.) but that rarely happens.

Is it a mainstay move? Certainly not. Its a show off KO move. DOn't tray it against someone better than you or a lot bigger than you. But if your better than them and roughly the same size or bigger and you wanna impress EVERYONE at teh sparring class, or whatever. Flash out the KO hook kick. Its also useful because very few people throw them and so no one is looking for em.

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 1:28pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think flying kick would be powerful from behind as a sneak attack, other then that I can see there flaw.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 8:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, yeah, the palm upward to the nose is only likely to break the nose, not push the harder skull into the brain.

Here's one:

Reverse chest level elbow, backfist to the face, then down the groin. That's got the be the best cliché technique ever.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast