Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 7:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been studying alot of NHB fight film, and reading and studying BJJ techniques. I have this question:
    If your mounted, it appears you are primarily toast! It is not a defensible position, and you must do everything to get out of it to atleast the guard. For those with experience, is this your perception also.

Thanks,
    Unless your arms are pinned, the first thing to do is reach around the waist and pull your face as high up into his body to protect yourself, then try to pull him over by umpa, trapping the arm first, and ending up in the guard. Another tactic here is to twist your hips so you can hook his foot with your heel, and likewise go for the umpa.

Otherwise, if he has your head pinned down via one hand on your throat, push the hand past centerline and reach grab that shoulder with the opposite hand, then grab his belt from behind and pull up and try for an umpa.

Oleg Taktarov also has a Sambo move he calls his "Texas move" where he bucks up against the person like at a Texas rodeo, pushing the chest away and to the side, then he scrambles under one knee to the other side, turns over and applies a reverse heel-hold against his armpit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 7:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i kinda agree with sakurabafan, as a person of small stature i get bounced of a lot, being mobile is the only chance i have at submitting my opponents. i always go for the rear mount whenever the opportunity arises and sink my hooks in or figure four the guy's waist (depends on the waist size, i prefer figure four as it is hard to escape from) and wait till he makes a mistake, crossface and sink the choke in.
    as far as being mounted goes, i just buck like crazy.

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you figure 4 anyone from the back who knows BJJ you'll get ankle locked-- don't cross your ankles.

In sport BJJ the most points are awarded for top and back mount (both equal), with side control/knee on stomach next.

I find the mount difficult to keep if the guy underneath is bigger. Plus there are only a few submissions available if you're not going to strike them. In BJJ as self-defense, from my understanding you get the mount to start striking the face with fists or elbows, mostly to get the guy to roll over so you can apply a back choke.

Also, if you watch a lot of recent MMA fights you see people do escape from the mount fairly frequently by tying up the top guys hands, or covering up the face, and bridging like a madman.

In a grappling environment, where you're not worried about getting punched, keep your arms in and RELAX, breathe, and wait for a chance to bridge your hips and roll him off. Timing is key. Just did it yesterday in class.

And I myself agree, for some reason I feel a little more comfortable in side control-- more balanced, still good striking/sub options (including knees to head/body), can get up and run if needed. If you watch Pride, you see most fighters now seem to prefer side control so they can rain the knees, plus on the street you could add elbow strikes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes pulling the opponent close to you and locking up his arm will work i do it all the time! once you get him locked up wrap one of your legs around his and lift your hips up and roll to that side it will work or you can go for the guillotine from the mounted position!!!

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion if your mounted your best bet is to try to put them in the guard position.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The mount loses a lot in Sports BJJ, simply because most of what you'd be doing in a fight is striking from there.

My favorite mount escape technique is to get my feet inside the guy on top's feet, transition my hands from protecting the neck onto the hips, and buck up and side to side like a maniac, all while keeping the guy low, around my hips.

As a measure of how successful this is, only one guy I've trained with has been able to stay on me longer than 20-30 seconds consistently. This includes good blue and purple belts, and I'm thinking of asking a black belt to see how he fares against it. Should be interesting :)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345