Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2002 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a rather big guy... 225lbs and and used to do TKD (yay i can kick high) and I did some hopkido and Aikido.

I'm not worried about taking hits... but I'm more interested in a martial art that allows me to deflect the persons attacks. If I want plow through someone I would take sumo wrestling...

To be able to restrict and control others movements without having to use much effort on my part is what I'm looking for. List the styles you know plz. Thanks.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/04/2002 2:54am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD's all about interceptions and destructions -- is that the kind of thing you mean? First principle of Jeet is cause pain for entry and once you're in, finish the fight (R.A.T. -- Rapid Assault Tactics). Also, it teaches the third range, trapping, which is about takeing your opponents weapons away from them.

But if you've done Aiki -- well, isn't that what Aikido's all about? Controlling people with a minimum effort?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2002 6:56pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoshinkan Aikido, Wing Chun, Kali/Escrima/Arnis would all be good choices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2002 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling - Submission. Know that and how much damage you cause is up to you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2002 6:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northern Mantis. Awesome defense system, but learning how to do the attacks takes time. If you know submission grappling, you can mix that w/ mantis defense for an effective system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2002 6:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, grappling is great for a single opponent. But when you are someone of my size people tend to gang up on you if at all. Aikido is good but a guy my size doesn't exactly flip to the ground. I'm not fat mind you, but I'm 225lbs and I'm not an acrobat.

Aikido is nice and all but it seems limited. Taking Tae Kwon Do for years you learn how to use your legs. I would like something that shows me how to use both. Aikido is very very limited in kicking. It's more about having a stable base.

I'll take a look around. Thanks for the info!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2002 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baguazhang is the absolute best for multiple opponents. Nothing even comes close, not even Aikido. Jiu Long Baguazhang is my personal preference, since it teaches you how to use guns, knives, and other modern weapons, as well as disarming enemies using such weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2002 8:39pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoshinkan Aikido deals more with painfully forcing the oponent to the ground than flipping them there. It misses the harmony aspect of most Aikido styles.

Posted On:
    7/08/2002 5:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you're looking to defend yourself just buy a wepaon, maybe even take a few classes on how to use it (and try to make sure it is legal.) + learn how to run or talk/bribe your way out of a situation etc:

In terms a a stand up MA, do muay thai, wrestling or submission wrestling/fighting or Judo, maybe even bjj just incase you go down, or if for some reason you want to beat the person in the fight (they'll be practically clueless on the ground without a weapon I should think, weres they can use strenghth with wrestling, and could probably punch back fairly powerfully...) When I say "want to beat the person" I mean give you the advantage, know what I mean?

Deflection? Try Boxing or mauy thai or valetudo(any MMA) (cover/parry and jab or cross/kick/elbow/clinch+knee/headbutt should work well, especially if practised...) Wrestling(inc judo as it is wrestling) + BJJ/Wrestling(inc. Judo) Slams/throws/leg takedowns, into legbar/arm bar/choke etc... [but then that's just me...]

Restrict and control movements? BJJ/wrestling/MMA/Mauythai/Boxing etc, etc...

Edited by - Blade Windu on July 08 2002 05:15:59

Edited by - Blade Windu on July 08 2002 05:19:13
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2002 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > To be able to restrict and control others movements without having to use much effort on my part is what I'm looking for.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

- Stipe -
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast