Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It became so wrapped around religion, political turmoil, rebellion, Confucianism, cargo-cult kinetics, Daoism, TCM, nascent Chinese nationalism, practice of "magic", anti-Western sentiment, form over function, imitation of elders over innovation etc. Martial Arts in Asia long ceased to be an answer to a problem-namely, how can I defend myself-and became instead a sociological stage.

Ok I guess I'm imagining things, and these words didn't really come out of your mouth. That's pretty crystal clear to me Wastrel. Martial Arts in Asia stopped being an answer to self-defense and instead turned into a cultural phenomenae. I don't see a way, where I could have possibly misread that. Perhaps that's not what you meant, and you are the one with the communication problems?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Arts in Asia long ceased to be an answer to a problem-namely, how can I defend myself-and became instead a sociological stage. There are only the rare and notable exceptions to escape this.
    This is why you're insufferable; beyond the fact that you chose to remove that sentence from the quote, there is the fact that despite me telling you MANY TIMES OVER that I was not making a blanket condemnation of EAMA, you continue to assert that I am. Why?
    Rather than actually discuss this by point. You chose to tell me that I cannot even discuss this because I am a Westerner. That's ridiculous, but that appears to be your only meaningful objection. And it never even departed from the level of an assertion.
    Further, Silat comes from Southeast Asia, not East Asia, so why do you keep bringing it up?
    The only reason I am reposting is that you lifted my remarks out of context. Stop doing that.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah I can't believe you haven't realized this yet, but this thread was long since derailed from the original train of thought. You know what I'm mostly responding to now? It's this ridiculous notion of yours, "Ohh you must have reading comprehension problems," "I went to college to study Asia" (probably from Berkeley from the sound of you)

I would wager my "tricked out Honda" that you're more annoyed with the fact that I really don't give a flying phuck about your Asian studies, (which I ohh I don't know may get you a job as a Hibachi Cook)

From reading your replies, and your other posts from other threads, I realized that you weren't making a blanket statement about EAMA, but to me that still sounds like someone saying "All monkeys are stupid except Urangutans," You might have not meant anything by it, but incase you haven't noticed this forum is unusually into COMBAT rather than Art. So when you say that most EAMA styles no longer address Self-Defense, that denotes uselessness. Hence the offense I took to your reply. You can't get yourself out of a blanket statement by going ohh "except for a rare few"

Maybe this is a case of someone falling in love with their verbage that they didn't realize what they were writing didn't make any sense, or had more meanings. I did that too, when I said Westerner's Eyes, I wasn't even thinking about race and meant nothing offensive by it, but you thought Race. Communication is a two way street.

So to put this to rest, EAMA, useless for self-defense or not? I don't care what you said in your past posts, that's how I COMPREHENDED your words and is the source of my ire towards you. I don't care what your answer is, I'm not gonna sit here and discust it further with you but I want that clarified.

As for Silat, I know the regions in question are different but the same stimilus also affected Silat. Religion, proof of magic, nationalism, anti-Westernism (in this case Dutch)afflicted Silat. Plus the events there are more recent, being emmidiately after WWII.

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Magikchiongson,

"So when you say that most EAMA styles no longer address Self-Defense, that denotes uselessness."

Once again. I didn't say that. I said that most are no longer ONLY about that. The majority EAMA are not in the form they are purely because of an attempt to defend the self. "Sociological" and "cultural" are not synonymous. A "stage" is a forum where all of these different factors are played out, INCLUDING the military/martial aspects. There is nothing exclusive about what I said. The only reason I mentioned my background is that you chose to mount an ad hominem attack-an attack on my position that ignored the argument and was instead directed at the person. When I said you had poor reading comprehension skills, that was a statement based on the evidence at hand, your failure to read what I said with even a meager amount of clear-headedness. You've already admitted that you "perceived" meaning, and that it was at least partially based on your "perception" of the orientation of this forum.

"I went to college to study Asia"

Oh, I love this. You put this in quotes. That's priceless. Did I say that? No. Is it true? No. But that doesn't matter to you at all. Where did you pick up this behavior?

"So to put this to rest, EAMA, useless for self-defense or not? I don't care what you said in your past posts, that's how I COMPREHENDED your words and is the source of my ire towards you. I don't care what your answer is, I'm not gonna sit here and discust it further with you but I want that clarified."

So it doesn't matter what I said? It only matters what you "comprehended"? Or in this case, failed to comprehend.

BTW: A lot of people on this board ARE going to make blanket condemnations of EAMAs. My advice to you is to actually attempt to deal with the argument in the future instead of making asinine remarks about people, and insulting people who have actually bothered to learn something. That means challenge the actual points that are being made. Understand? Done. Goodbye.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly what point have you made? Like I said, making a blanket statement then adding an exclusion in the end, then later claiming that no you didn't make a blanket statement doesn't change the fact that you made a blanket statement. That's why I asked you straight up in the most simplest of forms. In which you declined to give an answer to.

You want me to point out to you where you made your oratory mistakes? In your original post, you said CEASE, and INSTEAD. Those are very clear cut words. There is no room for miscomprehension there. Your inability to adjust to the forum messed you up. I mean, you've been here awhile, you should see that this is a "What good is your Chi when I shoot in and twist your toe off forum," This is not a forum of College Proffessors and English Majors. I'm making asinine statements? You basically said, I can't read, but I can't tell you that your writing skills suck monkey ballz? Dont' think so. Just keep on saying I lack comprehension skills, despite the fact that I'm not having any trouble throwing paragraphs at you. That makes it Ok for me to do this "Hi my name is Wastrel I study Asia and origami in S. Korea, that makes me knowledge about EAMA hehe,"

As for WHAT YOUR SAYING HAVING NO MEANING TO ME you're the one that's still ticked at me for calling you Western, eventhough I've said it many times I didn't mean it to be an insult.

Gawd this whole freaking shouting match started with your "qualification", whether you are certified to explain the methology of EAMA. Obviously whatever credentials you think you have, didn't do you any good since you can't explain it, or its "thorny" for you. My very simple point to you is, "No shyt Sherlock" Old Chinese practioners have no problem at all explaining it. You know why? Because they're perspective is different from OUR Western Perspective.

WE both say its difficult to study and comprehend EAMA for all the reasons you stated, I take it a little bit further and say that "Its because its hard to use Western thinking into explaining the methology of EAMA," and you throw an absolute hissy fit over that? You give me a steady diet of self affirmations about how "knowledgeable" you are, and how qualified you are to explain EAMA, when obviously you can't.

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 2:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go race your Not-Rod twinkie.

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "methology"

"that makes me knowledge about EAMA"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hi, My name is Wastrel and I wasted many years of my life studying Asia at the People's Republic of California, tehe" "Now I can be proffessor of Origami at Berkeley tehe"

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oratory-refers to the spoken word.

"This is not a forum of College Proffessors and English Majors."

And you aren't making it any better.

Posted On:
    2/07/2003 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In which you declined to give an answer to."

How many prepositions do you really need?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast