Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/05/2003 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know fucko, I didn't spend five years studying Korean, attend Yonsei University in Seoul, minor in East Asian History at the University of California, practice and compete in an East Asian martial art with several national university teams to have some fucking kid who thinks inheritance of a few biological characteristics qualifies him to evaluate my understanding of the region. My point is EXACTLY that you cannot wholly understand the development of East Asian martial arts without an understanding of history, linguistics, culture, philosophy, religion, etc. My point is that you can make NO CONCLUSIONS about East Asian martial arts WITHOUT understanding ALL OF THESE THINGS. Show me where I make a conclusion about East Asian martial arts other than that.
    You need to get your fucking knee-jerk under control. East Asian martial arts are NOT all about self-defense. That does not denote a criticism. I am not prepared to make a blanket criticism of an entirely FALSE rubric. Explain to me the pure relationship between Sumo and self-defense, or that Taekkyon's context of village rivalry and poverty has NOTHING to do with the protocols of its practice. Can you tell me what the relationship between Confucianism, aesthetics and East Asian martial arts might be? Have you ever even READ Confucius, numbnuts?
    You know, last week in my Modern Korean History class the teacher said the Korean word for self-government and all the dumbass third generation Korean-American kids started giggling because they thought it was the word for penis. Of course, they think all the white people are clueless because we don't get the joke. I know the difference because my literacy in Sino-Korean is considerably higher than theirs, AND because they can't hear distinctions between consonants, but no...I'm just a clueless white boy. WHy does this remind me of you?
    I bet your idea of Asian culture is a tricked-out Honda. "Asian" doesn't even have a meaning to most Koreans, Japanese or Chinese. Or at least not one that you would recognize.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Edited by - The Wastrel on February 05 2003 18:22:45
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2003 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOT RICE?

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet your idea of Asian culture is a tricked-out Honda.
    Quote of the week right there!!!
    I cant believe I started this much crap with a little question about Non-asian MA's!!
    Does anyone else have website's and stuff about non-Asian Ma's?

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 1:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elipson,
    Maybe I can help people understand why this guy is so offensive with a little analogy.

"Problem here, is your trying to explain Asian Martial Arts through a Westerners eyes. Good fricking luck."

Problem here is, you're trying to explain Western medicine through an Asian's eyes. Good fricking luck.

Then he goes on to claim (in complete agreement with me) that one needs an understanding of history and culture in order to understand East Asian martial arts. Who does he then say is qualified to do this? Asian martial artists and white people who practice East Asian martial arts...
    ...As Stold2 would say, "DURR DURR!!" He slams me for saying exactly what he's saying, and then he says that without the knowledge of Asian history and culture possessed by your average white practitioner of EAMA, you can't understand them. WTF?! Is he fucking stoned?! These are the premises he offers.

1. You need to understand EA history and culture in order to understand EAMA.
    2. The Wastrel does not understand these things because he is white.
    3. EAMA are more than just self-defense.
    4. An Asian martial artist, or EVEN a white person who studies EAMA, is the only person who is qualified to analyze EAMA.
    Subpremise: The above have knowledge of EA history and culture.
    5. The Wastrel does not practice EAMA.

Conclusion: Even though the Wastrel and I disagree not at all about the necessity of historical and cultural backknowledge, his analysis is ignorant and mine is tutored.

This is pretty fucked up. The amazing thing is that I bet he thinks he's been wronged. I think this is one of those situations in which someone other than me needs to acknowledge that they are completely wrong. Love.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohh God, you're one of THOSE people. "I study Asia in College blah blah look at me, waah waah I know more than you," You remind me of those "Middle East Experts" who go into The Factor and make an apology for Terrorists....

Anyways, here is where we butt heads. I think if you want to study the methology of anything you go to the source (if its still there)For example, if you want to study Wing Chun in a scholarly manner, why not go to a Wing Chun practioner. You heard of Draeger? He wanted to study SE Asian Martial Arts so he takes a trip to the necessarry places and talks to people who practice them. As good as Draeger was, he was still at a lost trying to deal with some of the more far fetched notions he ran into.

Its like, how do you explain Chi if you don't believe in it? When I'm talking about Westerner's eyes, I'm not even dealing with race as there are very Westernized Nations in Asia, it looks like its you with the knee-jerk reactions.

I'm talking about a way of thinking. I consider myself a very Westernized person eventhough I'm Asian, and yes I have a supped up Honda, and for the life of me I can only offer very minute explanations to some of these Eastern Martial Arts phenomenaes. You know like, Closing your grain chute to keep chin in, might just mean Keep your spine straight but shyt I"m not gonna sit here either and say to that crazy old guy in the park doing Tai Chi that his explanations for it are irrelevant. Which is exactly what I perceive from your posts and your signature.

I think a good example to use, are Dutch Indonesians, most of them don't believe in tenaga dalam but are well versed in Silat, and Indonesian Culture BUT its difficult for them to explain why some Silat fighters get into these "demonic' trances and the like. So here you got a person who is a practioner, actually lived in the said area, who studies their people and region yet can't really explain tenaga dalam.

Anyways, my original point was lost in all this shouting. First thing I saw from Wastrel was that EAMA got so caught up in religion that we have trouble explaining the methology of it. You ever ran into a fighter that's not afraid to die because he believes in God, and because he thinks his talisman protects him from injury? You're going to see a practioner who probably is very aggresive on the attack and doesn't put as much effort into his physical training. And that's not suppoed to explain some of the methology of this style? I think it does.

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 9:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "First thing I saw from Wastrel was that EAMA got so caught up in religion that we have trouble explaining the methology of it."

Why can't you admit when you're wrong? You cannot find that in my post, anywhere.
    You estblish criteria for analysing EAMA, and then you attack me personally when it becomes clear that I meet those criteria.
    Why don't you go read the thread on Qi that my signature comes from? You are deliberately obfuscating the entire issue in an attempt to discredit me. You act as if all EAMArtists believe in Qi. That's condescending. On top of that, I HAVE studied EAMA. So WTF are you talking about?
    How do you explain demonic possession? You don't. It's bullshit. What are your criteria for belief? Are all things true?

You're going to see a practioner who probably is very aggresive on the attack and doesn't put as much effort into his physical training. And that's not suppoed to explain some of the methology of this style? I think it does."

That's EXACTLY my point! We're only butting heads because you know I'm white. That's it. I never attacked EAMAs. Don't fill in blanks that aren't there. Either confine yourself to making arguments based exactly on what I posted here, which will require a more careful reading than you appear capable of, or actually go an look at my profile or at some of the other threads on here where I have DEFENDED EAMA.

"Ohh God, you're one of THOSE people. "I study Asia in College blah blah look at me, waah waah I know more than you," You remind me of those "Middle East Experts" who go into The Factor and make an apology for Terrorists...."

WTF does this have to do with ANYTHING? Are you saying that I know NOTHING of value? And come to think of it, I'm not making an "apology" for anybody. All I said is that we CAN'T UNDERSTAND EAMA without an understanding of Asian history, Asian philosophy, etc. So WTF is the problem? Why don't you just admit that you didn't know what I was talking about, and that you made a knee-jerk judgement because of that?

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the thread: I have a good book called the Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe by Sydny Anglo. I'm worn out with MagikChiongSon's racist bullshit. I'm not coming back to this board again for a long time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohh no, we're butting heads now because you turned this thread into a phucking racial issue. I say Western and you immidiately go voila WHITE. Now I'm supposed to be a Asian Supremacists? Who's the one with the comprehension skills now? YAH AZN POWER! SIEG HEIL LONG TIME!

When I say Western I mean, Science, rational thought, medicine. If being scientifically sound, rational, and being in the cutting edge of medicine technology is somehow offensive to you, then I"m truly sorry.

You truly sound like a person who gets off on your supposed Intellectualism, and gets all worked up if someone says WTF are you talking about. "You can't say that to me, I went to Berkeley!" Not to mention paranoid. I'm trying to discredit you now? DELIBERATELY no less. You know, at first I really just disagreed with you on how most people don't take EAMA for self-defense anymore, now after this display of "Imma Student in Asian Tofu making blah blah, You racists pig blah blah" I just think you're whack.

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My proposal: You cannot understand EAMA without an understanding of historical, philosophical, religious, and social context.

MagikChiongSon: You cannot understand EAMA without an understanding of historical, philosophical, religious, and social context.
    And the Wastrel cannot hold an opinion because he is a "westerner".

Okay, you claim it wasn't a racial issue. So I acknowledge that as a misuderstanding, justified by the tacit implication that though you and I are both "Westerners" you are more qualified to discuss EAMAs. See, I don't keep insisting that you are making a point that you claim that you are not.

"at first I really just disagreed with you on how most people don't take EAMA for self-defense anymore."

You are truly annoying, illiterate, and ignorant. I never said that. Doesn't that matter to you AT ALL?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2003 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peace, all. I myself have found the study of European martial arts in particular to be illuminating with respect to the meanings behind some of the movements in Chinese Martial Arts.

Example: "Separate Right/Left Foot" in T'ai Chi, you kick with arms spread wide. The movement apparently leaves you defenseless. I was sparring with friends who are part of a group practicing European arts, and found when grappling and trying to seize another fighter's sword you have the perfect opportunity to kick if both of your hands are tied up. In fact, you can use your wildest kick because the opponent's hands are occupied, roundhouse, crescent, anything is usable in this situation.

Here are some non-Asian arts' webpages:
    http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/new.html
    http://www.jamesakeating.com/maajak1.html
    http://www.thehaca.com/
    http://www.savateaustralia.com/index.htm
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/tmanifold/

Come back soon, Wastrel, your contributions have been appreciated.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast