Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 6:45pm

Style: Brass Monkey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eagle Claw

I guess this doesn't quite fit in here, but it doesn't quite fit anywhere else either, and enough people use this for this sort of thing, so here it goes.

I'm currenty studying Wing Chun, I haven't been for long. I like it enough, but i don't know that its really quite what i'm looking for. I like both my Sifu and most of my classmates, so its not a bad situation I'm in. But I'm probably moving soon, and like I said, I don't think wing chun and I are a lifelong match. So I'm looking for something else. I've been reading up as much as i can on various styles, and eagle claw seems like about what i'm looking for, from the descriptions i've found, which are likely over ideallized. I could go on for paragraphs about myself and what i'm looking for, and if anyone wants to know i will, but i'll try to keep this first post readable. Here are my basic questions

1) Is there a good book or internet resource cataloguing the various martial arts with descriptions?

2) Does anyone have any experiences with eagle claw that they'd like to share

3) Are there any good eagle claw schools in the country?

Thats about it for now

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 6:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had an awesome eagle claw at Yum Cha last sunday.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focusing sooo much on scratching with a particular hand position probably isn't going to be very effective. For the same reason that the eye gouge or the groin grab dosen't automatically defeat a fat guy who tackles you.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    I had an awesome eagle claw at Yum Cha last sunday.
    A California condor claw would have been tastier, but much harder to come by...
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) there is a lot of info on this site, however i am not sure how well the search function is working right now.

2) i have heard good things about eagle claw, but generally the rule is that the practitioner is more important than the school which is more important than the style.

3) i could find out about the ones in nyc if you like.

in general, unless you are moving to a very large city with a substantial number of schools (i.e. nyc, la, san fran, hong kong, bangkok, etc.) there will be a very limited number of choices.

in that case you should look at all the schools regardless of style and choose the place that trains in a way that you like, and where you like the teachers.

if you are moving to a major center than you will be able to have the luxury of saying "i want to find an eagle claw school" and then look at your choices.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:18pm

Style: Brass Monkey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used the search function, and the most pertinent piece of information i found on this site is that someone has an eagle claw friend who sunk a 4x4 into the backyard and beats on it daily. suggesting that somewhere there is an eagle claw school/practioner who takes matters quite seriously. I don't really know where i'm moving and i don't quite care. I'm young and unmarried and i have little desire for anything. I found websites of eagle claw schools in NY, it seems to be an eagle claw haven. I'm not a big fan of new york but there are jobs and good weather there, and if theres a good school i'm open to anything. So yes, any information on any school anywhere is appreciated.

wounded ronin- my understandining of eagle claw (again maybe this is just rose colored glasses they put on to type the web pages) is that the hand position is mostly for trapping limbs to work other techniques, and is only a signature move and nowhere near the whole style. i don't know anyone who knows anything about eagle claw though to confirm or deny that

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have very little eagle claw training, but I like what I have. For looking into the eagle claw style, start with Lau Fat Mang. I think Gini Lau has the whole system.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    wounded ronin- my understandining of eagle claw (again maybe this is just rose colored glasses they put on to type the web pages) is that the hand position is mostly for trapping limbs to work other techniques, and is only a signature move and nowhere near the whole style. i don't know anyone who knows anything about eagle claw though to confirm or deny that
    Eagle claw has a lot of "grappling" also known as chin na. The open hand position is the way you hold your hand, the application of a grab is anywhere it is seen.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Focusing sooo much on scratching with a particular hand position probably isn't going to be very effective."

LOL at this one. Scratching, ROFL!!! Sorry, but you need to read up a bit more.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    "Focusing sooo much on scratching with a particular hand position probably isn't going to be very effective."

LOL at this one. Scratching, ROFL!!! Sorry, but you need to read up a bit more.
    Pinching then? Purple Nurple-Fu? Titty-twister-fu? Devastating. Taught by the ancient counselor monks of Camp Breezy Lakes.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast