Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1000 dollars or 1000 kanadabux? big difference :)

atek3

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck guy! And take good care of your knees, when you get back on your feet.

Do you actually know how you hurt yourself? I friend of mine tore up her ACL pretty bad, practicing Wado Kai karate. Apparently her Sensei made them practice snap kicks, over and over for an hr, until she finally blew out her knee.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing as stupid as that. My injury is old, but has been aggravated by my own idiocy, not my sensei.

I originally blew it out when I was 18 or 19. Got surgery, and had the ACL removed. Did Tai Chi to rehab, but not as an MA. Came back to Karate at 32, and re-injured it during a kata where there is a jump (the only one in our style), and then a quick change of direction (the kind of movement that is BAD for people with ACL injuries). I SHOULD have been wearing a brace, but I fooled myself into thinking I was better now.

It swelled and hurt, but got better. Again, I fooled myself into thinking it was better. I re-injured it doing another kata that involves twisting and shifting weight at the same time (again-no brace) about six months later. It swelled, but got better, so I shucked it off as having a 'trick knee'.

When I re-injured myself sleeping, I knew I had been fooling myself. The doctor told me as much (see above posts).

Bottom line, if I hadn't been an idiot and got it checked right away, I wouldn't have the problems I have now. I should have worn my brace every time I worked out. Both things would have delayed this surgery by years at worst, and prevented it at best.

I am a case study in trying to 'tough it out' being the dumbest thing you can do.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An update for you!

A woman at my work was telling me about her son blowing out his ACL. The doctors were unsure exactly how bad the ACL was from thr MRI. So when they went in they looked around and saw that the ACL was not ruptured, it was just stretched all to hell and his meniscus was damaged.

Some new technique allows them to put some kind of iron on the ACL and cause it to shrivel back to its normal length. All with orthoscopy.

Now, this is good news to some people Im sure. I just wonder if the ACL will have the structural integrity of a reconstructed one. Can't be sure.

Just food for thought. If you haven't completely fucked your ACL they might be able to do something like this that will drastically reduce your recovery time.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm pretty sure it's totally fucked. When the doctor twists your leg and you watch it move in a completely unhealthy way, you know there's a problem (and it didn't hurt at all). Something very disturbing about seeing that.

The doc is telling his intern, "See? It's not supposed to do that." No ****!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123