Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 3:57pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good MA places in Singapore

... So I'm in Singapore for 2 1/2 months over Christmas and the New Year, and I'm looking for some decent places to train to maintain my form for next year's competition season, wouldn't mind some MT or some good WTF TKD. Grappling (BJJ/Judo) would be awesome as well, but I'm mainly looking for some striking. Any place that has both striking and grappling would be absolutely golden.

Price is a non-issue as long as it's not through the roof, but I definately need some place accessible (I live in the city).

Other than that, any general information I should know about looking for a good place to train? I'm thinking about looking for a few university clubs, but I don't think they'll be operating over the holidays. Anything I should know? Is it worth it taking MT/BJJ/Judo if I'm only going to be here for 3 months max?

Any input would be most welcome!

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as your not joining some cult. Yeah theres a few there.

It depend son what you want to get into really. I would say its pointless trying BJJ/or judo and perhaps MT because you can find that in North America. I would try to find a decent silat school just to get a taste of it. Stay away from ceremonial silat. Its mainly for entertainment or rather special celebrations like weddings etc.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Freddy I'm a local but I'm studying overseas in Melbourne. I'm just looking for something full-on to do while I'm on holiday here, preferably with a lot of sparring/randori.

And about silat, not too many Chinese guys doing silat around here. If I went to a silat class I'd probably get funny stares from the Malays and the Thais.

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a Straight Blast Gym in Singapore. Go to www.straightblastgym.com. Here's the club's details for Singapore:
    Hammer Headz Gym - SBGi Singapore ATG
    Tel: 9677 1737
    Email: hheadz@hotmail.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there are several good MMA schools I know of. First on my mind is Chris De Wet's new school, check out http://www.contactkinetics.com/ at the old farrer Park Boxing Gym (formally S.A.B.A.). He also runs SMARS (Singapore Martial Arts Research Society), check www.martialspiral.com, which I am part of. SMARS is a real MIXED martial arts group, where different martial artists from different arts get together (often to spar, alot of it too.) on Sundays.

Chris teaches Okinawan Goju-Ryu (different from Japan Goju-Ryu) and MMA. Adjarn Johnny also teaches Muay Thai at contact kinetics on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings, he is a tough coach, I warn you first.

For me, I do sanda. So if you are keen to do abit of stand up wrestling and kickboxing, drop me a private message. Also I am more than obliged to take you to Chris new school.

There is also another MMA school along Singapore River, run by Darren De Silva, He is also a good coach, knows alot in MMA/Muay Thai and alot of other stuffs in between.

These are the 3 guys I personally know that are of quality material.

For WTF TKD, try NUS or NTU TKD, those guys train very hard. The head coach at NUS if he is still there, is Mr Tan Kheng Chuan, a commonwealth games gold medalist. Training is on Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon at NUS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 9:38pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darren has submission grappling and MMA classes at his gym too. He's a pretty good teacher and his students did very well at the last submission grappling tournament, first and third in their respective categories for two of them if i remember correctly. It's a good place to train.

The gym's at 41A North Canel Road. He's email is mma_academy@pacific.net.sg if you're interested. Conversely, PM me if you want his mobile number.

Btw, Chris De Wet is also a 2nd Dan Kyokushin Karate black belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 10:16pm

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    give Kon a call when you are there, hes good peeps!

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 11:03pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jungle-mania
    Well, there are several good MMA schools I know of. First on my mind is Chris De Wet's new school, check out http://www.contactkinetics.com/ at the old farrer Park Boxing Gym (formally S.A.B.A.). He also runs SMARS (Singapore Martial Arts Research Society), check www.martialspiral.com, which I am part of. SMARS is a real MIXED martial arts group, where different martial artists from different arts get together (often to spar, alot of it too.) on Sundays.
    For info, the old farrer Park Boxing Gym (formally S.A.B.A.) is besides KK hospital.
    Chris teaches Okinawan Goju-Ryu (different from Japan Goju-Ryu) and MMA. Adjarn Johnny also teaches Muay Thai at contact kinetics on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings, he is a tough coach, I warn you first.
    I really recommended Adjarn Johnny if you really like to push your limits.

For me, I do sanda. So if you are keen to do abit of stand up wrestling and kickboxing, drop me a private message. Also I am more than obliged to take you to Chris new school.
    The sanda place is in Serangoon road,besides Serangoon Shopping Centre.

There is also another MMA school along Singapore River, run by Darren De Silva, He is also a good coach, knows alot in MMA/Muay Thai and alot of other stuffs in between.

These are the 3 guys I personally know that are of quality material.
    There used to be BJJ class in Singapore in Chatsworth Int. School,but heard it has closed down.

For WTF TKD, try NUS or NTU TKD, those guys train very hard. The head coach at NUS if he is still there, is Mr Tan Kheng Chuan, a commonwealth games gold medalist. Training is on Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon at NUS.
    Your info is a bit outdated,there is no more TKD on Tuesday night,if i am not wrong it is Thrusday night and Saturday afternoon at NUS. Still Mr Tan Kheng Chuan I think,because i found his name familiar......
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/01/2004 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a bunch everyone who replied; I've already emailed Kon and I'm going to be checking out these other places as well. Does anyone know if the university teams would allow me to train with them? Those sound promising.

Also, I don't mind a little travel for a really good gym, but seeing as how I live in the city anywhere near Bukit Timah/ CBD area would be really really good. Will give all these places a call and see what comes up. Thanks again!

edit: Forgot to mention, but any place that runs active beginner classes would be a godsend. I don't think I'm quite UFC material just yet. I've got more than enough time here in Singapore so I'm willing to work and go to as many classes as I can find.
    Last edited by lifetime; 12/01/2004 12:33am at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2004 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shihan Peter Chong is a famous Kyokushin fighter, or so I've heard. He does have a school or two in S.

http://www.kyokushinkai.8k.com/

You can't go wrong with good old bare knucle knock down karate.

here's a picture from the site, and you too can learn how to break bats with roundhouse kicks!
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/01/2004 12:42am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast