Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 11:27am

Style: wing chun orthodox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drink shake and gain weight?

I'm like 5f7 and weigh 127 pounds. I'm trying to gain weight. I've read that you have to eat like 5 to 6 meals to gain weight effiently. So since I'm a busy guy a friend of mine suggested me a milk shake of his invention:
    any comments about it would be appreciated. I'm gonna start in a couple of weeks and for the next 3 months.

recipe:
    -500ml 2% milk
    -2 table spoon chocolate syrup
    -2table spoon peanut butter
    -1 egg raw
    -2 table spoon dry powdered milk(optionnal)

he said I should drink one shake a day the first 2 weeks and then 2 shakes a day afterwards.
    thanks.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're really interested in sucking down that concoction to gain weight, change the 2% milk to whole milk...but I sure as hell wouldn't drink that ****. Good luck.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 12:11pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not eat raw eggs.

Your friend is correct you need to eat more food to fuel weight gain.

Assuming you're 20 yrs old, 127lbs, moderately active, and 5'7, this website (http://www.ivillage.com/diet/tools/healthcalc ), we get the following info:

Body Mass Index 19.73
    Healthy Weight 142-154 Lbs
    Daily Caloric Requirement 2438.49 cals/day

So if you're looking to put on weight, you'll need to consume more calories than this. You may need to enter in your own info to be more accurate.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.5 g of protien per kilo of body weight for gaining, up to 2.0 if you're doing alot of aerobic exercises. That along with 8.0 g of Carbohydrates per kilo of body weight.

Don't drink that concocted crap. Esp not raw eggs, that's just a bad idea. Raw eggs are not the best way to imbibe protien. Not to mention, the risk of salmonella, the feeling of snot running down your throat... The amino acids in eggs, meat, etc need to be cooked a bit to soften up, this way your body is able to metabolize and break it down faster. (Not overcooked on the meat though.)

You're going to get sick of that mix of syrup, pb and milk very fast. My suggestion is to eat more. Try to make a turkey breast or London Broil every two weeks for the eating of protein during the day. It tastes alot better, it's cheaper, it contains balanced aminos etc. It's also a quick lunch, or snack with bread, a glass of milk etc. Then have a good balanced dinner in the evening. Also try eating after 10 at night. I always eat my dinner around 11ish or if you have a set schedule of dinner, try ingesting something with casein protein in it before bed, milk etc.

If you're looking to gain more mass, I'd suggest getting some whey protein. Not from GNC though, unless you feel like spending loads of money. I just bought two 5lb containers of Whey from Mysupplementstore.net it was around 40, and that'll last for 3 months. Two servings a day, mixed with milk. Stir it, chug the slime, and be done with it. :5obsessed
    Last edited by Equipoise; 11/28/2004 1:27pm at . Reason: Edited for my inability to successfully wield the english language.

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 5:02pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your friend is a nimrod.

If you're 127lbs, eat everything you can get your hands on, especially dairy, meat, fish, and leafy green veggies to keep your colon from rebelling against you. Don't forget to lift heavy, and get plenty of sleep.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 5:43pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i went from 135 to 175 in three months completely natural. i started lifting, and lifting heavy at that, took creatine about twice a week when i could remember, and ate all the time. every night after the gym we would hit arby's and get a chicken finger combo meal. every day.

in retrospect, there was probably a better way to do it, but it worked fine. make sure to up you calories and your fat intake, especially if you are a hardgainer. in one of my nutrition classes that i had to take (for acupuncture school), we learned from our vegetarian triathalon teacher (true story) for optimum recovery and growth (not body comp), do make sure you get the following:

body weight in kilos (lbs/2.2) * 1.4 to 1.6 (modifier for weight trainers) = grams for protein MINUMUM for the day.
    body weight in kilos (lbs/2.2) * 5.5 to 6.5 (modifier for weight trainers) = grams for carbohydrates for the day (focus on fruits, greens, vegetables, and whole grains).

as you can see, your probably need to go back the the grocery store.

works for me, especially when it comes to recovery between training events. and he got his information from research in to optimum training diets for various types of athletes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 6:25pm

Style: wing chun orthodox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for the comments. Especially for the raw eggs. I wasn't thrilled with that myself.
    Hmm....I guess I'm gonna find a digestable way to get big.

Oh. I forgot to tell that I'm 25, and I do like 4hrs to 20 hrs of work out per week depending of the time I have.
    In that I do 3 to 4 times weigh lifting and the rest is bag work, forms, shadow boxing, and sparring :boxing: PLus I full time university student and I work part time AND I'm my family is more veterian oriented so I don't get to eat enough meat. So that is why I was chearching for a something fast to prepare, more vegetarian and that I can store in the fridge for like 3 days.... Any Ideas? Used to eat lots of almonds but couldn't eat enough to make any difference.

Anybody know a good site to get some recipes?

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 6:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ... vegetarian too :-P. Does this vegetarianism include fish also? In that case, You can eat lots of different fishes. Vegetarian dishes with complete proteins aren't worth eating to me, it takes waaaaaaaaay too much to eat versus eating meat, and aside from that it tastes like treebark. Avoid the Soy and Tofu, it lowers your testosterone. I'd have to say go the protein supplement route, or ask your mom and dad to add more meat to your dishes. Ask more questions, we can formulate ideas for you.

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 7:16pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give up the Vegetarian diet. We were born with canines (the sharp, pointy teeth) because we're supposed to be eating meat.

Eat a steak.

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 7:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat your friend.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast