Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 12:37am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training with Roy Harris

I posted this in my journal section, thought posting in tech and tactics would reach a wider readership.

===

Let me start this with, it was an absolute pleasure learning from this man. http://www.royharris.com

I've bought his DVD's BJJ 101 and 201, and love them. I consider his DVD's some of the best on the market for new BJJ'ers.

I had to catch myself during the class, when Roy would say, "Okay, now once you pass the guard, sprawl heavy into him", after hearing him say it countless times on the DVD's. Was awesome.

Things we worked on, bear in mind I haven't trained heavy or anywhere like I did at the Gracie Academy:

We rolled for a couple of minutes and the first thing after I stopped because I was dying, sounding like a shark with sandpaper stuck in my gills. It was this time, that Mr. Harris told me I was a Big Man doing Small Man Jiu Jitsu. (I weighed myself at the VA Hospital where my Ex works, and this was after class, I am 268lbs)

Now, this is interesting. I know my game back at the GA was the exact way. Fast and loose. But that was when I was around 235lbs.

Techniques Mr. Harris ran with me to better my game. It's all about the "Pressure".

1. Passing the guard. My usual way of passing the guard involves alot of pushing down the knee of the leg I'm passing and skiping both legs over to side mount. What Mr. Harris suggested is to start the movement the same way, but instead of skipping my legs over and taking pressure off my opponent, was to sprawl right into them. Remember this kiddos, 2 inches below their solar plexus or right on their floating ribs. That's the magical spot of pain. I have never had anyone lay on my so heavy in my life. I had to tap out to it, it really hurt. Cem Kilos, I have heard of the term, but this is the first time I have felt it.

Okay, next is when passing and get caught in the half guard. Again, SPRAWL on them right no the magic spot to cause major pressure. Work your caught leg's ankel onto their shin and pass.

The hand placing is important. Cupping the back of your opponent's neck and pulling him into you while pressing in inhibits his movement.

We went on to work on more ways to cause pressure from side mount.

While in side, one hand under neck or holding back of collar. Right hand has elbow on ground, and right knee is not at hip, but under opponents closest leg to you, toes should be flexed so that you can folllow should oppponent try to move away. Also limits them from trying and getting guard. Again, my pressure was on the wrong place. Also did this with over and under with the arms, quite entertaining what one can do with the right target.

My passing the guard with his feet on my bicep and hips was just plain terrible. We did drills on the hold down of the gi and passing on my the balls of my feet.

The rest of the class was on how to ride your opponent, using pressure of your body, and their energy.

We did drills on riding from half guard, holding down collar with left arm, right arm shoulder/arm, and for lack of better way of describing, riding them. Tensing and holding on when they tense to move, and relaxing with they relax.

It was a short and basic 30 minute class, but it was worth every penny! Correcting the little mistakes that seperate you from being an okay guy on top, to one that makes anyone under you cry, is priceless.

If you ever get the chance to get down to Southern California, look up Roy Harris. It is money well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice training review... but didn't you get the memo that said all school reviews were to be done in Piratese?
    :icon_pira
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 8:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, how'd I miss this? Awesome write-up Anthony. I'd love to train with Mr. Harris some day. His website alone has helped me incredibly.