Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina
    Yeah, the best way to avoid this is to keep good posture in the guard. That's one of the first things I learned, because I seemed to tap to that one the most.
    Th3 correct

Also, secure his hand, then stack up on your head. This creates room to breathe. Then do that funky shake to clear the legs. Next move your body the opposite way of the guillitine as you pass the guard, while trying to put your head up. Your opponent should release soon due to the pressure on the shoulder.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are alot of valid escapes.But I find that generally when they fail someone it is because before initiating the attempted escape they didn't do the most important thing, which is to turn your face into his ribs.
    I think about getting my nose/jaw into his ribs as quick as possible.Generally this means I don't even need to escape, I can just relax while he wastes energy.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 5:35pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should try doing that; currently, I just tuck my chin into my chest. This works, except I end up with this wierd checker-pattern scab on my chin afterwards from the guy's gi scraping on me.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's say your opponent has his right arm around your neck and is applying the guillotine. Yoru right arm should go under his neck and put your right hand as far down his back as possible. Now come up off your knees so your butt is high in the air and all your weight is driving down onto your right shoulder - into his neck. He should tap to this.

That being said, you need to work on countering him pulling you down and breaking your posture. How is he getting the underhook on your right arm?

game dog

Posted On:
    11/28/2004 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A simple way of relieving pressure is to drive your shoulder into his chest. This makes it harder for the opponent to get leverage, and makes him waste more energy. Unless the guillotine is sunk deep, you can sit in there for a while until he gets tired.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 5:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only way to defeat the guillotine is to blunt it through the use of long bamboo poles and a coffin shop

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 11:45pm

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Let's say your opponent has his right arm around your neck and is applying the guillotine. Yoru right arm should go under his neck and put your right hand as far down his back as possible. Now come up off your knees so your butt is high in the air and all your weight is driving down onto your right shoulder - into his neck. He should tap to this.

That being said, you need to work on countering him pulling you down and breaking your posture. How is he getting the underhook on your right arm?
    Awesome post. Strong Machine makes a great point about turning your face into their side as well.... the pressure goes from the side of your neck to the back, and is no longer a choke.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2004 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone, I was rolling yesterday with alot of this fresh in my mind, I couldn't get the arm triangle on (I suck at them) but I managed to escape by driving my shoulder in and turning into his body like y'all told me. Give me about a month and I will have a new problem.
    In the meantime, +rep to all the guys who advice I used.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 12:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe this is what people have been saying all along in this thread, but I survived a guillotine from the guard on Friday by doing the following:

1) Grabbing their arms on the side they are choking from.
    2) Throwing my other arm over their shoulder.

(This people have been saying. Next is what I haven't seen written here, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.)

3) Drive my head to the ground, drive my shoulder into their chest.
    4) Get my hips high, my base wide.

Izzy said something like what I have in #3, but I found I needed to do #4 or I didn't kill their leverage well enough, since they can't arch their back any more into the ground, and my hips are too high for their legs to help much.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12