Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2004 5:44pm

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUT
    I mean if they taught me the correct technique and the (unresisted) application but I used to spar at the gym.....would I be ok?
    I can't think of a better way to check if it really is a 'correct' technique. 'Worst' that can happen is finding out it doesn't work for you.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    11/27/2004 6:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would be highly dependant on what type of techniques you were using. If you were doing maneuvers from obscure forms that would require you to do "the human pretzel" in order to perform the maneuver, that might not be the most efficient use of your time if you wanted them to translate over into the MMA realm. However, if you were doing basic punching and kicking and bag work, that might be helpful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2004 7:18pm

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was gonna start a thread about this at some point. Effetivly you would be learning the principles and THEN the application.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2004 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think an important question to ask first is, do you hit anything? kicking air and kicking something involve very different motions. if you kick bags and pads then you may have developed good technique to cause damage. in which case sure the stuff you learned would work (assuming you also started picking up strategies, tactics, and toughness in your mma sparring/training). if all you kicked is air, then a lot would have to change because the mechanics are different. in my opinion. (of course by "you" here i mean anyone, not you specifically)

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    12/01/2004 4:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, somewhat... I still use elements of my McGoju-ryu training in MMA classes. That said, they didn't resemble the school's techniques much when I left it. ;^_^

Quote Originally Posted by soul mind fist
    I was gonna start a thread about this at some point. Effetivly you would be learning the principles and THEN the application.
    Somewhat. The key issue here of course is if the principles have been forgotten already and the technique screwed up.

mut, you have a solid base in dependable arts. There shouldn't be anything wrong in mixing things around a bit, apart from being dropped maybe. :P
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12