Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:11pm

Style: No Style Yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie in Arizona needs advice

Hello.

I am new. So new, in fact, that I don't know what I don't know.

My history: Overweight by 60 pounds, bored, college educated, computer network administrator, over 30, tired of living in a digital world. Sick of cable TV, surfing the Internet, video games, soulless music, etc etc. Currently losing weight. No kids, wife in night college classes, leaving me with tons of spare time.

Was taught by my parents to walk away from a confrontation. I think that was a huge disservice to me. I want to teach my children (someday) not to start confrontations, but not to be bullied either.

I'd like to take Martial Arts lessons in Mesa, AZ. Scottsdale, Tempe, Phoenix, even AJ are also options. I really don't care what style. I am looking for self-defense and fitness. I don't plan on going out looking to see how "good I am", but I also don't want to go to a "black belt factory" (a term I recently became aware of) only to get my ass kicked someday in an alley because I wasn't really taught well. I can get my ass kicked right now without any work or spending!

Price isn't really a factor. I certainly am not rich, but I believe you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more for good training. I don't want any free months, free uniforms, blah blah. I expect to pay between $100 - 200 a month. I don't plan on signing any long-term contracts. Perhaps I am uneducated here as well.

I checked out two schools here in town, both at the recommendation of a friend of a friend. They were ATA schools. Then I researched ATA. I quickly learned the term McDojo. So, now I am a bit scared to take my friend's friend's advice. I think there might be some short-term value at ATA (fitness, discipline, confidence, basic martial arts perhaps). When talking to them it felt more like talking to a sales rep at a gym than with someone interested in real training. One positive thing I did see was the schedule. The night classes do work well for me.

So, the question that I probably should have put at the top of this post: Where should I go?

Thanks

MesaArizona

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:14pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have an interest in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

You can try here www.teammegaton.com if you want a shot at BJJ.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum. I genuinely hope can achieve change for the better and learn from this collective.

While you have no said it overtly, I felt it was implied that you desired to do something about your weight. Have a search through out Physical Training forum.
    There is some on-going discussion right now on page 4 of this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17299
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:39pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One question. Do you wanna beat someone with your god given limbs? Or do you want to break their god given limbs?

If you said yes to the first, take boxing, muay thai or kyokushin (someone else on the forum can tell you the fun of these since I dont take either)

if you said yes to the second, take Brazilian JuJutsu, Judo, or Wrestling. Break them. Feel the tapping drum beat

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:52pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum!

There are several arts that will for sure get you in shape as you learn them. Of course, you'll have to match this with a diet that will allow for you to lose the weight that you want.

There have been good suggestions for boxing, muay thai, BJJ, and kyokushin karate. I'd also suggest Krav Maga, which if you haven't heard of it, is an Israeli defense system that utilizes principles and techniques from all the arts I've mentioned (except for maybe the Karate).

http://www.kravmaga.com/arizona.asp

Phoenix
    Krav Maga & Fitness Center of Phoenix
    3202 E. Greenway Rd. #1635
    Tel: 602-485-KRAV (602-485-5728)
    Fax: 602-482-MAGA (602-482-6242)
    Email: kmcontact@msn.com
    Web: http://www.reactdefense.com
    You can also browse that site for more information.

Feel free to ask as many questions here as you'd like about finding a good school and how to get involved with martial arts. There's everyone from professional fighters to expert researchers to people certified in physical training who'll offer advice.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Welcome to the forum!

There are several arts that will for sure get you in shape as you learn them. Of course, you'll have to match this with a diet that will allow for you to lose the weight that you want.

There have been good suggestions for boxing, muay thai, BJJ, and kyokushin karate. I'd also suggest Krav Maga, which if you haven't heard of it, is an Israeli defense system that utilizes principles and techniques from all the arts I've mentioned (except for maybe the Karate).

http://www.kravmaga.com/arizona.asp
    Funniest post yet, Steve. Keep it up.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 1:58pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's something funny about welcoming a newbie, offering a suggestion, and providing a link for them to find more info?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you had asked me that question twenty minutes ago, I would have answered that there wasn't.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 2:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am admitedly biased, but Brazilian jiu-jitsu will blow your freaking mind.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    11/30/2004 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    If you had asked me that question twenty minutes ago, I would have answered that there wasn't.
    you are such a dick.

i really respect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast