MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:09pm

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Question of Bullshido!

http://www.relsongracie.com/relsonbio.htm

So in his bio, Relson Gracie said he was the undefeated National Champion of Brazil for 22 years. I read the Carlson interview below where Rorion makes the same claim and Carlson calls bullshit. I read the letter JKD Chick posted. This letter said that many of the Gracies claimed to be champions.

So, my question is: Was Relson the undefeated National Champ for 22 years or what? Does anyone know? I have a Brazilian friend who said it was bullshit. And the Gracie Way doesn’t mention Relson. If he were the champ for 22 years, wouldn’t Kid Pelagro write about him?

I am certainly not making any accusations. I desire to know the truth.
    Anyone?

O TATAME Magazine: Interview with C a r l s o n G r a c i e.
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/L...v1carlson.html

Let me tell you a little story about Rorion. Every day Rorion used to come to me and ask me if I knew how to speak English, and I would say no, I didn't know how at all, and he would keep asking me and Rillion every day. Then he invited us to do a television interview with him. He was sitting in the middle, and Rillion & I were on either side. I couldn't understand a thing. All I understood him saying was "Rillion Gracie and Carlson Gracie" once in a while, and pointing at us. OK, one month goes by, and I was here in Brazil when a friend of mine called me to say: "Carlson, I saw the interview with you, Rorion and Rillion in the U.S., he only told lies." "You don't know any English, do you?" "He only said bullshit, and you were practically agreeing with him." "He would talk and turn to the sides saying that you and Rillion were there to confirm it." Then I went to my friend's house, for him to translate exactly what was said. Then I found out that Rorion said that he was a national champion for 20 years and had never lost and that he had invented the Gracie diet. He even said that my dad was just a fucking assistant of his and that it was Helio Gracie who brought Jiu-Jitsu to Brazil. Lies over lies! When I found out, I was so mad!

http://bjj.org/editorials/judo1960.html
    And then here in the letter JKD Chick posted it says:

I found that this was a business run by a very large family, all of whom claimed to be champions and all of whom were very dynamic people.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:16pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey ML,

I was looking into this last night, since another Austinite (and mutual friend of ours) was asking me about him, since I have The Gracie Way. He is stranglely absent from the book, except for a few scattered photos where he appears along side a more famous Gracie. I did find a review of this book that says this:

One of the most glaring omissions is Relson. Many feel that he's one of the best fighters and teachers of the Gracie clan, so the absence of a chapter on him is a sensitive point for many fans.
    Source: http://www.martialdirect.com/reviews.../gracieway.htm

I can't say I've ever heard anyone else complain about this, and I read a lot of BJJ forums and book reviews.

I'll keep looking into it for you, but I wasn't able to find much last night.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Bro.

The site keeps blocking my attempts to +rep you.

Respect and Good Vibes to You.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:23pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please bear in mind as well that it would take several energy flow diagrams, about 16 feet of paper, the ability to channel Carl Jung and a moderately complete understanding of quantum interactions in the human brain to even BEGIN to understand the various "R" Gracie/"C" Gracie/Machado/Numerous Other BJJ Lineages feuds and claims.

And don't use my name as a stalking horse for poking at the Gracies. I LOVE the Gracies. All of them.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:23pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, your love transmits to me via the Lovatronium universal subspace. :love10:

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:25pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was very MAS, Aesopian.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:27pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for noticing, JKD:female:

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rep+ on behalf of much love. i too wondered this but have seen the same thing in other systems/organization and just figured 20 years from now there will be gracie lineage wars with riots, RNCs, and guard pulling in the streets.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible there are competing national championship tournements or multiple classes?
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    And don't use my name as a stalking horse for poking at the Gracies. I LOVE the Gracies. All of them.

The first part was funny because it's true.

As for the quote: No poking. I thought my disclaimer was adequate. I am not making any accusations. I am mearly curious as this subject comes up in Austin quite a bit. I would like to put the subject to rest. I think that the truth shall suffice.

And I love everyone.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast