Sponsored Links Spacer Image

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets put aside for a moment why people do wing chun, the fact is they do knowingly and willingly, thus forming a very idiosyncratic martial arts community of their own which would be great to see in full contact competition, only right now their options seem to be limited at two extremes: playing chisao in their kwoon and going and training/fighting in a completely alien environment which is oriented to and dominated by other styles. Wing chun competition would provide a base where fighters could become accustomed to harder combat (and different techniques are allowed, just in very limited numbers from what I read) and then move upwards into less restricted rulesets, something which right now there is NO incentive for them to do whatsoever.
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the guys thinking... lets apply WT in both full and light contact competitions so that more people will push themselves to be able to use WT in a realistic scenario (also hold up against full contact fighters who keep owning them).

There have been times I myself (being in a traditional style) have wanted to do some sort of "our style's techniques only" sparring. The fact is though that it would be really hard to do that. It would be ten times harder to base a circut around that idea. The rules need heavy revision (and grammar check).

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that this is a great idea. The guy has identified some of the problems with WT and come up with a possible solution. If the rules were tidied up a bit, this could be very useful.

BTW, what are the cervicals?

Jonny

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the rules are still provisional as Antonio has only just published them for discussion.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 9:18am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dear lord..
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personaly I think that boxers using a both arms to absorb a cross is a good use of centre line theory.

It would be easier to fight under san shou/thai boxing/MMA rules, to make the event only open to wingchun practioners with sufficent experience and to allow the judges to give discretionary points for conformity to style.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 11:29am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a good start.
    Best of luck.
    Some of the rules do not make sense: no side guard? Let the guard develop to suit the attacks!
    No non-WT techniques? You'll have trouble justifying this, and pple will claim that in THEIR WT there's double-legs and armbars. You'll have no way to control this unless you want to limit the participation significantly to only your clan.

But as I said: good start

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12