Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 5:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a problem, I am a white belt in BJJ, I am 15, 5'8 and 121 lbs, All the other members of the school are full grown men, the shortest and lightest member of the school(there are only like 6 of us) and I can't tap anybody. I'm really good at defending submission but I can't tap anybody, I get tapped about once a class. What should I do?

Titan

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thing is to stop worrying about tapping anyone, just keep going and it will come.

Being small you will be forced to use more technique, this will help you improve faster.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 7:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree; you need to change your focus from outcome to mastery, i.e. don't worry about tapping, but just concentrate on learning the entire style and techniques inside and out, and how to apply them properly; just work on that, and let the tapping take care of itself-- which it will; getting obsessed with control will just frustrate you, so you just have to relax and learn to "swim" with what works.
    Also if you can defend well, eventually the other guy will tire himself out; I worked so hard at defense that I actually had teenage girls tapping me because I literally wouldn't move a finger, so that I could learn defense without expending effort while they were climbing all over me.

Likewise, the trick in grappling isn't about learning holds, so much as learning to apply them to a resisting person, while at the same time watching for their strategy and formulating your own counter-strategy to best take advantage of it.

If you can get away getting tapped only about once per session, you're in good shape; I was 240 lbs and a nearly invincible wrestler, but I got tapped countless times per session at first since I NEVER relied on strength (even against those who did), and I didn't know the techniques. Once I learned the theory behind the techniques so well that I could practically apply them in my sleep, and innovate new techniques, it wasn't even a contest anymore.
    Also I NEVER wanted to work with people who were less experienced, since you learn nothing and they're more likely to injure you. If you're only getting tapped about once a class, then they're probably being fair; however if you think they're taking advantage of your size and lack of experience, then find another school ASAP.

Finally, realize that when you enter that dojo, you agree to leave your own glorification outside; that's why there's no dishonor in tapping out. One of the main rules in JJ is "don't kill yourself trying to beat a certain opponent; if you cannot beat him, you cannot beat him."
    I'm about the least patient person there is, so I know what you're going through; if you start getting frustrated, spend more time alone working on the holds by yourself. It can take a long time, but once you have it down pat, you'll have an invicible arsenal of holds and moves that you can apply to your strategies.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >What should I do?

Stop crying and do some pushups!!!

>I am a white belt in BJJ

Uhm do you expect to just walk in don a gi and then start tappin pple who have been doing it LONGER than you and have a physical advantage?

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    asia is right, do some push ups and pull ups.
    try putting more weight on keylocks, dont just push with your arms. work on getting flexible hips for the armbars from the guard.
    hope this helps

"said and done"

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had teenage girls tapping me ... so that I could learn defense without expending effort while they were climbing all over me.
    Riiiiiight

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work the guard.

You're small so, chances are, your going to be put on your back. The guard has a MASSIVE amount of submissions and reversals. Against much larger guys practice keeping them within your guard. Make them WORK to escape, thats how opportunities for submissions and sweeps come about.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 12:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same problem, can only tap begginers ;/

Need to work on everything, espcially ground game.

good advice.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 2:29pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push-ups? Pull ups? hmmm sounds like a lot of muscle building if you ask me. I don't thing Helio would smile at such training methods. Of course you're going to tap anybody in the beginning. Wake up to reality. You might go a whole year before you tap anybody. When you do though it'll be worth it. You should be proud that you can fight off the submission and build your confidence off that.

Go away I'm talking to myself

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/04/2003 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push-ups? Pull ups? hmmm sounds like a lot of muscle building if you ask me. I don't thing Helio would smile at such training methods.
    I politely request that no one dignify that with a response.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast