Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Myostatin

Sorry for the flood of threads on supplements. Anyone taken Myostatin inhibitors and seen benefits from it, or is that horse cakes also? :violent5:

Genius

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the **** up and stay out of GNC, n00b. Supplements are for retards.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:30pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Untrue. Some supplements, such as creatine, can result in significant benefits for people beyond what is attainable with a conventional diet. You'd have to eat like 48oz of lean red meat to get 5g of creatine, which is what you take daily for maintenance. When you need 20-25g in a day for the loading phase, you do the math.

Also, while it's entirely possible to get enough protein without supplements, powders help because liquids digest more quickly than solids. Consuming protein prior to a workout is more effective than following a workout, where it's better to eat more carbs to fuel the processes for rebuilding muscle. You can eat meat like 2 hours before or you can have a protein shake only an hour before, which is easier to plan around.

However, I will agree that hype and ignorance of supplementation can hit the wallet harder than a Kevin Butler field goal kick. I take supplements for antioxidants and heart health (green tea extract and fish oil) in addition to a healthy diet because I'm at a much higher risk for these than most people, but that doesn't hold true for the general population.

However, I'm waiting to hear back from a doc if I should be more worried about mercury issues from fish or from the capsules.

-EDIT-

As for myostatin, I can't say that I've ever had it. I don't go much further than what I've already mentioned.

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blow me, No2 has worked, aswell as creatine for me. If you haven't taken it or know anything about Myostatin inhibitors, then STFU. :thebirdma:
    Last edited by Equipoise; 11/24/2004 11:37pm at .

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swear by No2, that stuff has done alot. In 3 months, my overall maxes have gone up alot, as well as my endurance. Myostatin is supposed to be a growth and muscular inhibiting enzyme. That's all I know about it pretty much.

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know someone else who used NO2 with success. Until I have a routine that I can consider to be optimal, I'm going to work on fundamentals before spending whatever it is on performance-boosters.

The only thing I'd say is if you were training for a competition or whatever, you might be DQing yourself from a drug test with this stuff. But if that's not the case, then stay safe and keep going.

---

btw, I can't believe you edited your STFU to be even MORE obvious and flagrant. :(

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found an answer. Looks like I'll be saving some money. Yeah No2 worked greatly for me.

Myostatin is a protein produced in the body that may inhibit skeletal muscle growth by binding to the activin IIb receptor. Researchers from the Department of Kineseology at Texas Christian University investigated the effect of resistance training on myostatin expression as well as its effects on muscle strength, mass, and body composition in 22 untrained males. This was the first study to examine the effects of heavy training on myostatin expression. After 12 weeks of heavy lower-body training, subjects increased total body mass, fat-free mass, strength, thigh volume, and thigh mass. Interestingly, the subjects also had an increase in myostatin protein. However, the researchers concluded that even though there was an increase in myostatin levels, this increase had no effects on training-induced gains in mass and strength. This is likely because of a simultaneous increase in something called follistatin-like related gene (FLRG) protein, which inhibits myostatin from binding to the activin IIb receptor, as well as a down-regulation of activin IIb receptors. The implications of this research are far-reaching and may be one reason why myostatin-blocker type supplements are unnecessary for those looking for quality gains in muscle.

Willouhby, D. (2004). Med Sci Sports Exerc. 36:574.

---

Well, rather than be harassed I responded that way. This is bullshido, isn't it?

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 11:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'm not criticizing attitude or anything. I just can't believe you improved the aesthetics of your verbal message. :)

Genius

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop with the supplements, they'll only wittle down the size of your wallet. If you want to get big and strong, weight train harder and eat a good diet. Ever think that your overall strength went up in 3 months because you worked out a little harder because your magic powder motivated you to do so? Oh well, keep donating to the snake-oil salesmen if you want. It's your money, not mine.

Send me $5, and I'll send you supplemental water. It will act naturally to rehydrate your body and quench thirst in a safe effective way. Thus, help you to be stronger.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 8:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my question is............ what's wrong with eating 3 pounds of meat?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel