Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:46pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Common Royler Gracie School Practice?

I am joining a Royler Gracie class in my area that is taught by a purple belt named Chris Robinson, and I was wondering if it was common practice in Royler Gracie school to have year long contracts. The school I am joining is named Robinson's Karate, which features a Royler Gracie class 4 times a week. There seems to be only 6 month and 12 month payments or contracts following a trial period of 1 month; exactly like the Karate featured at that school as well.

The school also features black belt clubs, children's programs, merchandise all over the walls and very high prices. I don't want to say it, but I am sure I know what I am stepping into :evil5: .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is teaching the BJJ? I've been finding many schmucks lately who are just blue belts that pay an affiliate fee to a Gracie so they can say they teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at some McDojo.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joining a school for any length of time is standard.

....are you looking to learn something? Because in martial arts if you spend less than a year studying, unless your already experienced, then you really arent going to learn anything. A year is a good time frame to dedicate to learning ANYTHING, let alone a physical displine like martial arts.

Try buying a car and see if your going to be making payments for a year. Or a home. Try joining a gym for less than that and you're going to pay alot more most of the time.

Contracts really dont mean **** man as long as you're learning what you want and your instructor is capable.

A contract for MORE than a year, now thats a different story. theres just no reason to have one for any longer than a year. 6 months is acceptable too but you really need to train longer than that anyway just to get to grips with what you're learning.

If you ever think about working out you should ask yourself how long you want to be "fit" for. If you answer "I'd like to be fit for the rest of my life" then brother, you're going to have to excersise for the rest of your life.

A year commitment really shouldn't break your balls or anything.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is teaching the BJJ? I've been finding many schmucks lately who are just blue belts that pay an affiliate fee to a Gracie so they can say they teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at some McDojo.
    Gotta agree with this though. Its the new bandwagon to jump on and make money.

Nothing really wrong with learning from a blue belt but if thats all he's done then he's been studying his art for a short period of time and I'm not too sure just how great of an instructor you can be after learning something for less than 2 years.

And I'm not just talking about "techniques" because a monkey can do an armbar..its a pretty simple thing. Alot moregoes into a qualified instructor than being able to beat people up and learning how to reiterate the basic mechanics of movements.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeedeeShaolin
    Joining a school for any length of time is standard.

....are you looking to learn something? Because in martial arts if you spend less than a year studying, unless your already experienced, then you really arent going to learn anything. A year is a good time frame to dedicate to learning ANYTHING, let alone a physical displine like martial arts.

Try buying a car and see if your going to be making payments for a year. Or a home. Try joining a gym for less than that and you're going to pay alot more most of the time.

Contracts really dont mean **** man as long as you're learning what you want and your instructor is capable.

A contract for MORE than a year, now thats a different story. theres just no reason to have one for any longer than a year. 6 months is acceptable too but you really need to train longer than that anyway just to get to grips with what you're learning.

If you ever think about working out you should ask yourself how long you want to be "fit" for. If you answer "I'd like to be fit for the rest of my life" then brother, you're going to have to excersise for the rest of your life.

A year commitment really shouldn't break your balls or anything.
    I am joining whether or not there is a contract, I simply wanted to learn if this was common practice in Royler's schools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Pop your Riddlin an read my post :qright1:
    Chris Robinson, he is a purple belt in BJJ. He also holds a black belt in Karate I believe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:01pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    perhaps... but I think the option of not signing a contract should be there. I wouldn't want to sign a year long contract and then decide i wanted to go someplace else after a month or two.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I was in a hurry. I'll post something intelligent after BJJ class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:05pm

Style: Interpretive hand dancing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you sign anything, check out this other school near you - http://www.rebellionjj.com/

I'm not familiar with either school, but the one you are describing sounds like a possible McDojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I could go to rebellion, its too far away unfortunately. Carlos Newton's school is in my very town as well and even it is too far.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast