Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:19pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another 2 bite the dust...

My uncle approached me the other day to ask if I knew of any good martial art schools to enroll his two kids in. He mentioned that he was considering Aikido as he found the principles of Aikido to be to his liking. Plus, he felt that it was street effective. Now, my uncle used to do TKD and he said that he was pretty disillussioned with the styles of TKD, Karate and CMA. He's about 50 years old so he was doing TKD back in the 60s - 70s. Too much forms and not much "fighting style", as he puts it. Btw, the two kids are 10 and 11 years old.

Anyway, I recommended Judo or Kyokushin Karate instead as I told him that they were more practical. (Muay Thai and Submission Grappling are not really that accessible here. In addition, the places that teach those here don't have kids training there.) I practice Kyokushin Karate so he asks me for a demo, i.e. he asks me to spar with my younger brother. I was pretty unwilling at first and asked him to come down to the dojo to take a look at a class but after quite a bit of egging on by him, my brother and I agreed. So we both go at it, tops 30%, and I start off with some low roundhouse kicks and punches before getting a good roundhouse kick to the head.

So then, my uncle stops us right after that and tells me I have no control. He says that when sparring, if I know that my blow is going to hit my opponent, I should stop right in front of him and pull my blow back. At this point, I start telling him that point sparring is not practical and that I was doing full-contact sparring but he argues that full-contact sparring is wrong because it encourages both fighters to really start beating the **** out of each other. "You hit me once, I hit you back harder." Of course, I tell him that control is involved and there's always alot of supervision in class.

Anyway, here comes the best part. He starts telling me that in Tae Kwon Do, they do point sparring because TKD fighters look for an opening and once they find that opening and hit the opponent, the opponent will not be able to continue to fight, i.e. one hit kills! They have apparently been trained to target specific areas that will bring about this result.

Ah well. So in the end, he says that Kyokushin Karate is too violent. Anyway, I make the same case to him about how Aikido training here does not have much realism factored into the training but my points don't seem to register with him. He's still hanging on to his TKD mentality. Btw, my advise to him on Aikido was that it's true that Aikido principles are nice and effective but the training is not. I recommended that he take something that involved real sparring so that his kids will be exposed to an environment of somewhat realistic sparring and that once they have that experience, Aikido would be a good art to add to their arsenal.

Oh well, I guess the kids are going to enroll in an Aikido school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:30pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's funny considering the only truly legit "one hit, one kill" person I've ever heard of was Mas Oyama.

My TKD instructor never had us do point sparring because he told us that it assumed too much. And in real life self-defense, you want to avoid assumptions that, if false, could turn into a bigger problem than you started with. On the other hand, he didn't really like Olympic sparring because they don't use their hands and the techniques were often too unrealistic to work for real at a high percentage.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:34pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gah, for the sake of those kids you can't give up so easily. Maybe you can ask your uncle when was the last time anyone learned how to swim just by dipping their toes in the water instead of actually getting into the water.

If things get desperate maybe you could challenge your uncle to test out his theories on fighting on you or your younger brother? Maybe a good idea is to just be defensive and challenge your uncle to see how fast and how frequent he can hit those "vital areas" while you just keep blocking and moving him off balance?

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your uncle's chi is weak. Yours is strong. :)

I wouldn't suggest aikido for kids in their age.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:30pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smadhi_fire
    Now, my uncle used to do TKD and he said that he was pretty disillussioned with the styles of TKD, Karate and CMA. He's about 50 years old so he was doing TKD back in the 60s - 70s. Too much forms and not much "fighting style", as he puts it.
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_fire
    He starts telling me that in Tae Kwon Do, they do point sparring because TKD fighters look for an opening and once they find that opening and hit the opponent, the opponent will not be able to continue to fight, i.e. one hit kills!
    I like how you say he was disillusioned with the fighting style of TKD, then turns around and acts like they knew what they were doing. Is this a miscommunication on your part, or him being inconsistent?
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder why he even asked your advice in the first place. It sounds like he already felt that he knew everything he needed to make a choice for his kids. I hope the kids are OK.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    find a judo place for them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:45pm

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm suprised that your uncle's first choice would have been aikido, especially if was looking for some thing "street effective". As you point out, the priciples of (some) aikido training are quite effective, but to find a dojo where the students are able to apply them effectively is a rarity. I would have went with Kyokushin for something with some immediate street applicability. Aikido takes a damn long time to be proficient in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:22am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindgod
    That's funny considering the only truly legit "one hit, one kill" person I've ever heard of was Mas Oyama.

My TKD instructor never had us do point sparring because he told us that it assumed too much. And in real life self-defense, you want to avoid assumptions that, if false, could turn into a bigger problem than you started with. On the other hand, he didn't really like Olympic sparring because they don't use their hands and the techniques were often too unrealistic to work for real at a high percentage.
    Yeah, I was pretty suprised by his theories because he learnt TKD a loooooooonngg time ago and even my Kyokushin Karate sensei says that the TKD people back then where kick ass.

I read somewhere where someone said something along the lines of "the people who claim that one punch is enough do so because they punch the makiwari 5000 times a day." Seemed like a really interesting quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Reis
    If things get desperate maybe you could challenge your uncle to test out his theories on fighting on you or your younger brother? Maybe a good idea is to just be defensive and challenge your uncle to see how fast and how frequent he can hit those "vital areas" while you just keep blocking and moving him off balance?
    That's a pretty good idea but I don't think it'll happen. After the incident, he was saying that he would love to spar with me.... BUT, his shoulder was injured because he dislocated it while playing Badminton awhile back. Ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Your uncle's chi is weak. Yours is strong. :)

I wouldn't suggest aikido for kids in their age.
    Thanks bro. =)

Well, there's apparently a kid's class at the Aikido dojo near his place.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    I like how you say he was disillusioned with the fighting style of TKD, then turns around and acts like they knew what they were doing. Is this a miscommunication on your part, or him being inconsistent?
    Eh... nope. That was the funny part. He kept talking about how Aikido was supposed to be effective and all and how TKD was not practical. That's why I suggested Kyokushin Karate. I guess once he saw something he wasn't comfortable with, he just fell back on what he knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I wonder why he even asked your advice in the first place. It sounds like he already felt that he knew everything he needed to make a choice for his kids. I hope the kids are OK.
    He mentioned to me that he was intending to enroll his kids at an Aikido school and just asked for my opinion. So, I gave it to him. Haha perhaps he was expecting me to agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    find a judo place for them.
    Most of the good Judo schools are pretty far from his place so he won't bite on that. The Kyokushin one was a few roads down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chushin Ryoku
    I'm suprised that your uncle's first choice would have been aikido, especially if was looking for some thing "street effective". As you point out, the priciples of (some) aikido training are quite effective, but to find a dojo where the students are able to apply them effectively is a rarity. I would have went with Kyokushin for something with some immediate street applicability. Aikido takes a damn long time to be proficient in.
    Hmm... Aikido seems to have quite a bit of credibility here. At least, amongst the people I've talked to. I had a clerk under me once who was in Prison before for rioting, etc. Well, according to him, they fight alot in Prison. There was one guy who was trained in Aikido and he was apparently very good at fighting, i.e. he whooped all their asses so he was really in awe of Aikido.

As for the applying effectively part, I think Tomiki Aikido would be good considering there's randori involved. There's a Tomiki Aikido dude from Japan who's won quite a few competitions there who's going to start a class here soon. Think I might check it out. The other Aikido that I think is pretty cool is the Yoshinkan branch. They have a one year program in Japan whereby your training is along with the Tokyo Riot Police.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little kids don't need a "gentle" art that teaches "harmony", they need to tire themselves out. Judo would be great for them. I mean, if they start sparring in Karate and go to school with bruises... bad news for the parents. = But Judo is great.

Ask him to fight you. If his TKD is so great, he should be able to take you out. He doesn't have to go full power in your "opening", hitting you at 50% to your "opening" should be enough, right?

PL
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast