Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 7:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

simulated obstacle course

Okay, so it got too cold to ride my bike or run and I wanted to step up my cardio this winter rather than slack off so I decided that I would create an indoor simulated "obstacle course" routine. I do a series of calisthenic type exercises in succession with minimal rest (watching my heart rate) between exercises until I've completed the list. Then I take a short rest and do another set (or lap) of the list. Repeat for 2-5 sets, as many as will fit into an hour. Anyway, then if I have anything left I tack (3x2min.) jumprope sets and some crunches on the end. Then I stretch.

I am doing this for cardio Monday and Wednesday. I'm doing a more simple cardio routine on Tuesdays that involves rounds on a heavy bag, jump rope sets and one or two calisthenics. Martial arts is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weights on Friday. I'm taking Saturdays and Sundays off again. When it gets warm out I will add sprints back in on Thursdays. If I need an extra day off here or there then I take it. Whatever. That's my schedule for this winter. Anyway, so far it has been fun. Here's the list I did this week. (1-2 sets)

* "The Gauntlet" ( .. because I like to give my exercise programs cool little names)

[high hop hurdles 1x15, pull-ups 1x15, lat pull 1x15, leg press 1x50/leg, cable rows 1x100, wind sprints 1x5 (10-15meters), broad jump paces 1x5, beetle kicks 1x100, bombers 1x15, killers 1x20, push-ups 1x30, hill climbers 1x50, stick crunches 1x30, raccoon pull-ups 1x20, stair-step leaps 1x50, kick paces 1x100]

I do have to go outside for part of the routine but not much. I am still refining the list but this one seems to work okay. I'm not sure if I will keep the list this long or shorten it so I can work more sets in during the hour. I think keeping it long is the way to go because that maintains the increased heart rate for a longer continuous period. I am losing weight like crazy doing it this way.

Anyway, while I was doing this .. I began to realize that ... crap, all I am doing is "circuit training" or whatever! It's the same exact thing only a different name. Still, obstacle courses and calisthenic routines have been around longer than that term so .. your moms. :P
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/01/2004 11:45pm at .

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 9:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The variety will, I am sure, be a nice change of pace.
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/10/2004 10:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I was riding my bike all summer which was fun and everything (I got to get out and see the town) but this workout hits more muscle groups. There is also more resistance involved. It's more fun. The variety is cool because ... well, like the jumprope -- I'd been riding all summer and even doing sprints so I thought my legs were doing great but then I hit the jumprope and it killed me because it was just a different movement that used different muscles more. My upper legs were sore for two days after the first time I did jumprope sets.

I really like my days on weights. I like seeing the progress there more than the progress around the waistline. I'm thinking 5 pounds from now I should switch a cardio day to weights. That way I can have room for more variety in my weight training. I just wonder if two days on arms a week is too much for my metabolism. Right now I am still trying to lose weight while slowly increasing muscle mass. Eventually, I'll be done losing weight and I can focus more on getting bigger. I'm making progress with one day a week.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/10/2004 10:56pm at .

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 1:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw this earlier, I'll say it now:

At least you have a sane set limit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    12/11/2004 2:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a beetle kick?
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beetle kicks are easy, some people call them bicycle kicks but to me a bicycle kick is something from soccer so I call them beetle kicks .. because you lay on your back. reminds me of a beetle turned over, I guess. You lay on your back and alternate bringing your knees up to your head and kicking them straight out over the ground. You get in the same position you do cruches in, pull one knee up and put the other leg straight out horizontal over the ground. Then alternate them kind of fast. It's for your abs. They are not that difficult so I do a bunch of them in one set really fast just to get my heart going to burn calories. Crap ... maybe that should be at the beggining of the routine. hm..

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:51am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tl; don't care.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like stick crunches a lot more. I saw them on a show on the fitness channel about Olympic gymnast training routines. I thought I'd try them out and i liked them. You grab a stick (or bo staff) and hold it in both hands over your head as you lay flat on your back. Then you pull the stick down, kick both legs through and pull the stick down to the ground extending your legs out again, then kick your legs back up and pull them through again, and end up with the stick over your head again laying flat. Those are cool.

Bombers are when you jump as high as you can and tuck your knees to your chest while shooting your arms out. Some guys kick their legs out in the splits but whatever. I'm not there yet. Killers are just v-ups. My wrestling coach called them Killers so I call them that for nostalgia. Hill climbers are when you get in the starting position for sprinters, extend one foot back and then alternate your legs quickly in paces, kind of running in place. Raccoon pull-ups are when you wrap your hands around either side of a pole or bar like a raccoon and pull your head up on one side, then the other, alternating. You don't wrap your legs around the pole. Those are for your lats more than the center of your back.

I have funny names for a lot of stuff, I guess. :P
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 4:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM,

Oh crap, I said something about physical training without giving a dollar to TaeBo_Master. My bad. *cow tow*

Look TBM, I know you do this for a living and went to college for it and everything. You know how to do it right and I'm not going to try to dispute that. You are the man. You deserve respect and all. The thing is, you didn't invent physical training and you don't own all rights to it so the rest of us can bring it up without giving you a quarter. Relax. We all like you and your picture of a hot chick.

I just wanted to bring up my routine in here to see if it made any sense to people who train for the same reasons I do. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. Heck, my schedule is only an hour a day of fitness and about two hours a week of MA right now. That's not a lot. I'm 33 years old and trying to get back in shape .. it's not like I am going to get into a pose-down with you. I'm not trying to pretend I'm Mr. Fitness. You win, okay. You are the guru of fitness. Just let me talk about my training without you feeling compelled to put me in my place. I mean, it's not like I feel like I have to put you in your place whenever we talk about martial arts. :)

... Oh snap. :love9:
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/18/2004 4:43am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tl; don't care.
    Obviously that bothered 9chambers for some reason. . . am I the only one who has no idea what "tl;" means?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast