Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Who is teaching the BJJ? I've been finding many schmucks lately who are just blue belts that pay an affiliate fee to a Gracie so they can say they teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at some McDojo.
    I should know better after my last encounter with Deus...

But Chris Robinson is listed as a purple belt student of Rodrigo Medeiros.

http://www.bjj.org/a/people/medeiros-rodrigo.html
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know you want to know what the practices are in Royler Gracie's school, but you're not going to be IN Royler Gracie's school. You're going to be taught by a guy who paid some cash in order to be able to USE Roylers NAMe to attract students and teach BJJ without being sued.

The way he teaches class and the things he'll be doing might be even BETTER than Royler's school, but it certainly wont be the same because he's a different instructor.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeedeeShaolin
    I know you want to know what the practices are in Royler Gracie's school, but you're not going to be IN Royler Gracie's school. You're going to be taught by a guy who paid some cash in order to be able to USE Roylers NAMe to attract students and teach BJJ without being sued.

The way he teaches class and the things he'll be doing might be even BETTER than Royler's school, but it certainly wont be the same because he's a different instructor.
    That was going to be my point but PeeDee beat me to it. This is not a Royler Gracie school you will be training at if you join and Royler has no control what business practices they use if any. This is a Karate school with a Royler Association affiliate. He may be good but that's a different story. Some places will send a student to train with a famous BJJ guy with the intent that they can become an affiliate and begin teaching these classes, which are all the rage now. This could be different, don't know... Go check it out and talk to the guy. Find out how long he trained and who with. Also find out how often he maintains his training with said instructor. Another point is who will promote you when you are ready for a blue belt or a purple belt?
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 9:17pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by toothpaste100
    I am joining a Royler Gracie class in my area that is taught by a purple belt named Chris Robinson, and I was wondering if it was common practice in Royler Gracie school to have year long contracts. The school I am joining is named Robinson's Karate, which features a Royler Gracie class 4 times a week. There seems to be only 6 month and 12 month payments or contracts following a trial period of 1 month; exactly like the Karate featured at that school as well.

The school also features black belt clubs, children's programs, merchandise all over the walls and very high prices. I don't want to say it, but I am sure I know what I am stepping into :evil5: .

I don't think it's a common practice. I'm in a Royler Gracie affiliated school (www.mbjj.com under Mike MrKulic, and a good teacher IMO) and we pay by the month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 9:50pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'll drill him during my trial period and find out his background and how I'll be promoted ect. Royler supposedly comes by once a month or so and David Adiv shows up once and a while.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 10:32pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once a month? Make it more like once a year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 11:13pm

Style: karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rebellion is good, but generally no gi. They've started gi classes as of this winter. Take a look for sure, and you might even meet me (a humble white belt) get my ass tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 3:37pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn I wish I lived in Toronto, I'm from Newmarket.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12