It's a modified Captain Kirk throw!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to venture to say that Xango is referring to "closed guard". But lately I've found myself pulling all sorts of open, butterfly, and spiders guards, after I had only been doing closed guard for months. I even managed to pull triangles, but everyone caught on to that.

I don't (yet) have any super science to this, I just grab wrist(s)/lapel(s)/behind the head/underhook(s)/overhook(s), and stick one or both feet on a knee(s)/hip(s)/elbow(s), etc. and go from there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I get my competition footage, you'll all get to some some stellar guard pulling.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are all good tips, JKDChick's especially. Keep 'em coming!

Yes, I am talking essentially about closed guard, which is even more useful in competition Judo than in BJJ. I'll work on other weird stuff when I get the hang of that.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In our ne waza class, I'll try to pull guard or go for top control about 50/50. I don't like to pull guard every single time, but I did learn a trick from the last time that Adriano Lucio was here. When rolling and starting from knees, I usually start with my knees pointing forward with my feet behind me. I noticed that everytime I rolled with Adriano he was always able to get right into an open guard (rubber, spider, butterfly, etc.). Anyways, I noticed that he always started in the same stance when rolling from knees. He would bring one foot up to the other knee so that he would be kneeling as if he was applying the triangle. I think this gave him more mobility so that he could spring forward or fall backward with equal speed. When I don't have my head in my ass, I try to do this sometimes and it works pretty good if you want to easily get into the guard. I find that the only important part of the upstairs portion is that you have gripped at least something and are pulling it in whether it be lapel, shoulder, or underhook.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:53pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can grip the lapels and put a foot on their hip as you fall back. The tension between your foot and the lapel pull lets you control their movement as you establish guard.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To pull guard, you want to start with one knee up. Keep the foot of the knee that is up close to your butt and try to stay compact.

The number one thing you need to do to pull guard successfully from knees - and this is for any guard - is to get your grips first. If I fall back without my grips the guy can control my knees and work his pass straight away. So if for example you like butterfly guard, grab his belt and sleeve, or sleeve and the pants at his knees, or get an underhook and wrist control of his other hand.

If you want to play closed guard, then work your pummeling so you can get an overhook and underhook or double overhooks, then pull guard. He now won't be able to grab your legs and stop himself being pulled forward.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I always have one knee advanced. Don't marry yourseld to the idea of getting a certain guard. Closed guard, open, butterfly, its all good. I tend to pull guard so I don't use my size advantage to just push them over and squish them.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    greese1,
    If you want to get really good, you'll have to eventually stick to one guard, at least for a while. That way you will learn all the "ins and outs" of that position. One of the essential things a person needs in order to have a good guard, is a goal. So if your goal is butterfly sweep, then you should be pulling butterfly guard, and learning how to get butterfly guard from the other guards. If you don't have a goal, then all you're doing is reacting by trying to stop the guy passing, and if he's the one pushing the buttons then he'll eventually pass. If you have a goal, then you're attacking for that position, and you're the one pushing the buttons and he has to react to you.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually had limited success wheeling people over my extended leg and under my mount. It's like a kneeling hiza guruma and usually only works once.

Since I'm a white belt I don't usually start in guard, but I've noticed that the advanced guys will usually just take a seated position and play open guard. Some of the blues pull me into closed guard for whatever reason; probably a lack of faith in their open guard.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast