Posted On:11/23/2004 11:31am
Style: 10th Planet JJ
Remember the TKD vs. MT clip that keeps floating around, where the TKD fighter dominates completely, executing spinning jump kicks, double kicks, etc. and winning the fight while keeping his hands down at his waist throughout? This one. Now when I first saw it, I thought it was pretty cool. However, the more I think about it, the more fishy it seems. Let's look at it in some more detail. Before you make judgements and call me a MT nutrider (which I'm not) take a closer look.
1) The Thai boxer's not keeping his hands up. That's pretty atypical - generally, MT people learn to keep their hands up after the first few practice rounds. It just hurts too much when you don't. As of itself, this proves nothing, but let's keep going.
2) Look at his stance and posture, even when they're not engaged. Now I'm not an expert, but it looks nothing like any kickboxing I've ever seen, even at the low amateur level.
3) Look at how the Thai boxer retreats traight back every time. One of the first things they teach you in kickboxing is footwork. You never take more than two steps straight back - you either circle around or go forward.
4) 31 seconds into the clip, the Thai boxer attempts to block a low kick with his arm. A classical TMA low-block, that you will NEVER see in MT. Blocking low kicks like that is a good way to get your arm broken, and even if it doesn't break, a low kick will simply blast right through it.
5) If you look closely at the knockdown on the 46th second, you will see that the kick hits the shoulder and not the neck. I've never seen a knockdown from hitting a shoulder.
6) If you look at what goes on between 10 and 13 seconds, you will see the Thai boxer defending his head by turning away. That's also something people learn not to do a month into kickboxing. Kickboxers will cover up, tilt their head forward, but NEVER turn away.
7) The one time the Thai boxer throws a low kick, it looks nothing like a MT kick, he chambers his leg and leans away as he throws it (remind you of anything?).
Now any one of these things, as of itself, wouldn't mean much. However, there's just too many things that seem funny here. Basically, whatever thig guy is doing dosn't look like any Thai boxing I've ever seen. In fact, he moved and did things (arm blocking a low kick, posture, etc) in a way that's pretty typical for TKD and or Karate of some sort. In my opinon, one of the two must be true.
a) The Thai boxer's not a Thai boxer at all, and the entire thing is a cross-dressing show (The Thai boxer is another TKD guy).
b) The Thai boxer has no real experience and comes from a TMA background.
Now I'm not saying that there's no way for a TKD fighter to beat a Thai boxer. There is. The thing is, though, that he'd have to keep his hands up to do it, and the fight would look very different from what we see on this clip.
You say what about my rice?
Safe For Work
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:35am
Style: Shaolin Kung Fu
Run....Run away now. You've revealed the truth, and you've been targeted for assassination via jump spinning back kick to the throat.
Why are you still reading this!? RUN NOW!!
Jaguar's MMA record
pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)
We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
- The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:43am
Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:44am
Originally Posted by Osiris
Wasn't all of this argued the FIRST time? No one cares anymore.
'Guess I wasn't around the first time it was argued.
I've seen this clip brought up in arguments here recently, and everyone just let it stand, so I figured it's worth taking a closer look.
1% Shark is better than you.
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:46am
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:48am
Basically, nobody could translate the guy's name, so we couldn't find out if he was a real MT fighter. That would easily solve this whole thing.
Merry Christmas Bitch
Posted On:11/23/2004 11:54am
Style: Canadian Shidokan
I just keep remembering that, no matter how many times the TKD guy kicked the "MT" guy, he kept getting up, no worse for wear.
That in its self, is an insult to TKD.
Posted On:11/23/2004 12:13pm
So a Guy kicking some other guy 10 times in the face, un-blocked, and NOT knocking him out say what about that guys kicking ability?
Posted On:11/23/2004 12:18pm
Originally Posted by Osiris
How so? If I floor you in a real fight, all I need to do is stomp you out. If I floor you ten times in the ring, Im probably gonna win. Also, how do you know he was no worse? Not everyone turns all types of colors and **** when they get hit. Lack of superficial damage doesn't mean that someone didn't feel it. Remember Kimbo vs Gannon?
How in the world can you call Gannon vs Kimbo "lack of superficial damage" ? Didn't you see the lumps on his face?
Posted On:11/23/2004 12:19pm
His face was messed up too, he was just harder to see due to a beard and a dark complexion, you could still make it out though.
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info