Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 4:53pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place I train at is a total McDojo that happens to have a guy that teaches BJJ, and I see no problem with that. At least the kids get som exercise, and a few of them have shown some interest in BJJ. And above all, we get a cheap mat, so I'm actually happy about having the kids there.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 1:35am

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I ran my school, the kids classes were separate from the adult classes. In fact, unless the parent was also a student, some adults didn't even know I taught kids. I offered private lessons so I could gear the instruction for the student. Want "arobics in a gi"? Not a problem. Same for someone looking to seriously fight. I even had a couple of specialized group classes for bouncers/security officers. After 2 years I was growing and maintaining while other schools in the area were closing. (you couldn't throw a rock out my dojo door without hitting a TKD school).

So it can be done.

I met HGM Nick Cerio some time before he passed on and he was commenting on how "hard" the arts were in the '60's and '70's. When asked why he thought things had changed so much he said, "The first time a dojo got sued, things were never the same."

Those of you bitchin'...open your own school and run it how you see fit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:42am

Style: streetfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of you are such mma posers and flamers, it's fucking funny.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:54am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Everybody is looking for Mr. Myagi. The venreable old teacher thats the handyman by day. MA teacher, to just you, by night. He doesn't charge you. You learn on the beach next to his house. And he'll even give you one of his restored classic automobiles for free.
    Believe it or not, there are really such MA instructors in Singapore(Okay,except "And he'll even give you one of his restored classic automobiles for free",but "You learn on the beach next to his house" is still possible scenario)

Most of MA instructors are part times who have their own job during day time and teaches at evening time or weekends. In Singapore the most popular training ground is Community Centre/Club under the Government, that is why you always see MA training conducted on basketball court in Singapore.

Another types are Trad. MA clubs/associations which most of them are even old than Singapore being independent nation. The place where I am learning Sanda was one of them.

Basically S$70~100/3 months is considered quite expensive, and some dont charge money at all.
    Last edited by liuzg150181; 11/23/2004 5:02am at .
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempoist
    So it can be done.

I met HGM Nick Cerio some time before he passed on and he was commenting on how "hard" the arts were in the '60's and '70's. When asked why he thought things had changed so much he said, "The first time a dojo got sued, things were never the same."

Those of you bitchin'...open your own school and run it how you see fit.
    We all knew that the general American population were pussies who loved to hug the bossoms of the law.
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/24/2004 4:30pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDojoism, while of course increased by the precense of potential profit, is not exclusive to countries where MA is a businiess. In Sweden, nobody's making a dime off of MA (swedish sports culture is very non-profit and government subsidized, which means low, low rates for all sports). Yet my dojo still has kids in ninja suits and black belts.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 5:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great,BS everywhere.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567