Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:40pm

Style: Various

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin Monk=McDojo.....I ad where one Shaolin monk had a wife and a kid.....

also, I read where one Shaolin Monk, studied Tai Ji at Shaolin....which is not possible becuase Shaolin was a Buddhist philosophy....Tai Ji is a Daoist one....two different temples....it would be like a Christian Minister teaching words out of Muslim Kuran or Indian Hinduism.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more people throw money at this crap the closer it is to becoming common place and the STANDARD for what real martial arts are supposed to be.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 9:00pm

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PeeDee,
    I agree with you. Its funny I teach at my home. I have just a couple of kids left. I really dont want to accept anymore.
    All they do is start and realize Hey this is actually work and quit.
    They all look at the McDojos and think that is how your suppose to train. in a nice building costing lots of money each month instructors charging them up the ass for everything whether they need it or not, Laughing joking in class and have fun telling stories ect.

One kid showed up to class with a flyer from a McD it said free Gi upon enrollment for a summer program, enroll now and save 100 bucks.... This kid asked where his free Gi was...

after I gave hime 20 push ups for coming to class late he didnt show much enthusiasm...

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funny thing is, if you a person has some start-up funds, he CAN own and operate a large school...he just have to learn to teach in a way thats still attractive to a large number of people while still giving people solid basics, a good workout, a little traditional history and effective techniqes of both stand-up and grappling without making them feel like they're in the army or that they're training TOO hard, because there is such a thing for the average practitioner. I've lost alot of students because of tough classes and I had to learn how to give them solid training without overworking them.

Its the same with kids. Kids are tough to teach effectively, and that goes TRIPLE for a LARGE class, but even a large class can be taugh effectively and efficiently.

Around holiday time we ued to get CROWDED classes because people would be going on vacation and they wanted to get some extra training in before time. I've had more than 40 kids on the mat at one time and I could make them stand at attention and not even move their eyes. They'd look like marines-all attention forward. There are people on this website who know people from my old organization and they'll back me up on that because they know its true. The best part about it was that the kids didn't not move their eyes because they were afraid of me or anything, they did it because I had a very strong relationship with them and they wanted to look good in my eyes.

When an instructor gets to this level with a group of kids even young students can accomplish amazing things on the mat and learn at a much better pace.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 8:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is becoming a very common thing, even in the boxing gyms ( not the HARDCORE ones).
    Kids classes, (kick)Boxercise, corporate "self defence" sessions, etc.
    Money talks and banks wanna see the almighty "cash flow".

Don't blame the instructors for trying to keep the place going.

If the instructor came to the "serious practioners" and said he was gonna double the montly fees, or more perhaps, how many would say, "sure, no problem" ??

An example, to pay for any decent sized gym, you are forking over a MIN of 2500 dollars a month, every month, and that doesn't include utilities and insurance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 10:28am

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its all about the squilla

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 1:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good call , ronin. The opinion on this matter always seems to fall between those that have run a business and those that have only worked for others.

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 1:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its propbably the hardest call to make, if you are a MA Instructor.
    Do I go under or do I get a smaller place, or do I bring in the "McDojo" element to keep the place running and, at least, break even ?

Thing is, kids classes, especially under 13 ( and in some cases under16), are realy just babysitting with a exercise.
    As long as you are NOT giving the illusion otherwise, all is cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 3:12pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this topic is why I respect my dojo so much, its just a little place on a back street; could he get more students? Absolutely, could he teach kids? With ease. Why not? I asked him and all he said was "I've done that, this isn't a cash cow, I'm not a babysitter, I just want to teach karate, I've earned that." :bowdown:

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 3:58pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can have kids classes that don't **** up the adults. I see it happen all the time. You just have to care about both your instruction and your cash-flow.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast