Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They make you use shinai? Those aren't even the same weight and balance as a real sword.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    Is there somewhere to hang them at least? Because I have this big Everlast bag I don't have anywhere to hang and I would gladly haul it the three blocks to and from the gym.
    The dance studio at Eclipse is amazing. They have all the professional hardware hanging from the ceiling. You can actually hang about 10 different heavy bags from the ceiling. Their facilities are actually better than at Siam #1.

I'm just going to complain and complain, and hope for the best.

They even have a 2 story rock climbing wall hidden behind the drywall, suck a waste.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Everybody is looking for Mr. Myagi.....
    You don't know how right you are! Everyone is looking for Mr. Myagi alright, looking for him to make a guest appearance at their Little Ninjas Birthday Party. And I'll be damned if I have to put on a hakama and start swinging a shinai, punching fake cardboard bricks, and talking backwards like Yoda.

Hole in one.

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get a life, you must.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 7:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try, I will.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 7:58pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone is correct to complain about this situation. It is sad and frustrateing to say the least.

One thing to think about though, what about trying to form a community of like minded students, pooling your resources and opening a dojo for a sensei. This is difficult, but in the long run it would be worth the energy and time and expense. We should not expect to "join" a dojo and then selfishly complain about how the sensie is not keeping it real because they have to survive.

Build your own dojo, polish the beams, lay down the mat, set up the cash flow model, assign dues and maintenance duties, then invite a qualified teacher to come and teach. You may not even have to pay the teacher, many serious teachers would gladly teach for the love of their art to students dedicated enough to actually do something other than complain.

If you are not able to undertake this, then you get what you pay for.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 7:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goldust

You have my respect. Your place must be a really great place to train. Your students are very lucky! I hope they remind you of that, everyday.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:14pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The teachers at my dojo make very little if any money. I am not one of the primary teachers, but just a substitute one per week. I am paid nothing. As students, once per year we organize a new years gift for our teachers (in cash) to suppliment their incomes. Our dojo is set up as a non-profit, and we have a close relationship with the landlord of the property who gives us a substantial discount below market price. I consider myself extremely lucky to train with such great people and have such dedicated teachers.

I hope the best for everyone in thier search for greatness, and I encourage everyone to take as much responsibilty as possible upon themselves to foster the type of dojo you would like to have.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by tkdan28
    It was a birthday party, not a class. As long as it doesn't conflict with the adult classes and the training doesn't suffer I see nothing wrong with it.
    It was a "little ninjas" birthday party, a fucking travesty of a name in the first place, where the kids get to play make-believe and think its martial arts when in reality the school was turned into a day care center for the duration of that class.

If you these guys want to run a baby sitting service why dont they open a daycare center and a martial arts school on the side?

And nobody was talking about MR. Miyagi either. An instructor should know how to teach MARTIAL ARTS....FUCKING PERIOD. If you're too damn LAZY to learn how to effectively teach children of a particular age group without turning your school into a daycare center with karate costumes then DON'T TEACH THAT PARTUCLUR AGE GROUP because you wouldn't be doing them any favors and you'd be hurting every martial arts school near you thats trying to teach REAL CURRICULUM and spends alot of time learning how to do so.

And I dont care WHAT art it is either, karate, kung fooey, TKD.....every art can be taught in a structured way that lets the children learn things they might actually use while giving them great excersise and teaching them some discipline. Turning your school into a robotic belt shop hurts EVERYONE except the person robbing stupid peopleof their money simply because they cant tell which school is worse and just pick the one that "looks the best".
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capitalism doesn't work that way. Where there is demand, there is profit. If you can find enough people who want to learn serious fighting skills (and I _bet_ you can in a city the size of Toronto), and you can provide the training facilities at a price they can afford (again, I bet you can) then you can make a profit offering them what they want to do.
    First off, don't get me started with your bullshit sheep-man. Take a fucking look around and see how many Olive Gardens there are and then tell me thats REAL Italian food. If you tell me that you're a stupidfuck. One word, just like I typed it. A stupidfuck because MILLIONS eat there and are BULLSHITTED into thinking its "real Italian food" when in all actuality its fast food served up in a production line system that makes a mockery of a real eatery.

I dont want to get into how capatilism is a fair and balanced all powerful and righteous system ok? If you want to talk about it PM me.

Sure there may be many more people who just want light-aerobics-in-a-gi, but the competition for these people's dollars is _intense_. The lesser demand for intense, painful training that results in frequent bruises and the odd concussion or break is reflected in the lesser number of gyms offering it, but there isn't any fundamental reason why those gyms should be going out of business sooner than the McDojo down the street.
    Another thing: Unless your going to be a pro fighter then you really shouldnt get many injuries training. If your instructor can run a class properly without putting you at risk of injury then he's a bad instructor and I really could give a rats ass who gets offended.

Anyone who tells you you have to train in a full contact manner that results in injuries shouldnt be teaching because he doesnt know what the **** hes talking about.

Guys train for the goddamn UFC and PRIDE for 6 months STRAIGHT and dont break bones because they'rte still ready at fight time to fight another pro fighter and you're telling me you can't train for 6 months at your little fucking karate school and not get hurt or break bones? Why the **** would you have to train harder than a guy whos at the very TOP of the professional ladder?

I know inujuries happen, even more so when your training gets advanced and you beging to naturally train harder, but there's no reason for the average person to get broken bones during a Tuesday night kung fu workout or even some medium muay thai sparring because if you arent conditioned enough to engage in muay thai without getting hurt your instructor shouldn't have you sparring in the first place.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast