Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:30pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeedeeShaolin
    Never going to happen. You're witnessing the poison of capitalism at work.

In order not to totally sell out ans blatantly sell **** you have to have integrity, something that the American society no longer teaches.

Martial arts will go the crappy way that everything else in this country has gone: all image and no substance.

The future is grim.
    Capitalism doesn't work that way. Where there is demand, there is profit. If you can find enough people who want to learn serious fighting skills (and I _bet_ you can in a city the size of Toronto), and you can provide the training facilities at a price they can afford (again, I bet you can) then you can make a profit offering them what they want to do. Sure there may be many more people who just want light-aerobics-in-a-gi, but the competition for these people's dollars is _intense_. The lesser demand for intense, painful training that results in frequent bruises and the odd concussion or break is reflected in the lesser number of gyms offering it, but there isn't any fundamental reason why those gyms should be going out of business sooner than the McDojo down the street.

Straight-blast Gym and the Gracie's successful schools are cases in point. Sites like Bullshido are only going to increase the demand for serious, demanding training. People all over the world who've been trying hard at some TMA, but can't shake the niggling feeling that they aren't really learning 'how to fight' are reading this site and looking, right now, for clubs where hard-sparring is practiced and the moons of jupiter are never discussed.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Everybody is looking for Mr. Myagi. The venreable old teacher thats the handyman by day. MA teacher, to just you, by night. He doesn't charge you. You learn on the beach next to his house. And he'll even give you one of his restored classic automobiles for free.
    No, I'm looking for an instructor that doesn't sell out. At my current school I pay the same price to use smaller facilities with a better, smaller student pool. I do this because I get excellent instruction vs. having my instuctor focus on the terrible kids he promoted into my class.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath

Is that Eclipse?
    Yes. They merged with Studio 1 (or was it Studio 4?), the aerobics/cardio/taebo place from across the street. As a result they're expanding their space, adding more aerobics studios, bigger woman's changing rooms, and taking down the heavy bags. At least that's what I've been told, even after I complained that I'd only agreed to join after I'd gotten a written promise from the manager, a promise that I could have access to the heavy bags, and practice sword work on the hardwood floors, when nobody else was around, after the fancy Latin Dance classes were done for the evening.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm looking for an instructor that doesn't sell out. At my current school I pay the same price to use smaller facilities with a better, smaller student pool. I do this because I get excellent instruction vs. having my instuctor focus on the terrible kids he promoted into my class.

Yes. I'm thinking about going back into formal training. That sounds like exactly what I'll look for.

I'm uncertain as to style... I want practical over formal and I'd like to combine with weapon training -but practicla weapons - small knives and pistols.
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the bags don't stay up then I'm not keeping my promise to rejoin this summer. Sean extended my contract for a couple months because I didn't freeze it while I was living downtown, and asked me to repay the favour.

I didn't even know they had bags, and now I refuse to join a gym without them.

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think kid classes are a great idea if they are used to lay a groundwork and get a kid interested in MA. Of course most parents want their kids to get a blackbelt, yell KIA!! and talk about their chi. "Little Johnny is getting picked on can you turn him into an unstoppable death machine capable of stopping hearts with his mind?" "Sure, just sign this 5 year contract for 150 dollars a month." "That will make little Johnny a killing machine?" "Of course, we will channel his chi and turn his inner warrior samurai gladiator loose." "Ok does that package come with a blackbelt?" "Only after 3 months of kind of hard work."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the bags don't stay up then I'm not keeping my promise to rejoin this summer. Sean extended my contract for a couple months because I didn't freeze it while I was living downtown, and asked me to repay the favour.

I didn't even know they had bags, and now I refuse to join a gym without them.
    We'll have to see what happens after Christmas. Holly, the Manager before Sean, was the one that promised me the use of the heavy bags. There's a couple of us, about 4 guys, that use the heavy bags, and spar at night. We had to hide a couple of the heavy bags in the dance studio, behind the step aerobics stuff, before they walled off the storage room, and made all the boxing equipment inaccessible.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there somewhere to hang them at least? Because I have this big Everlast bag I don't have anywhere to hang and I would gladly haul it the three blocks to and from the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:11pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would having heavy bags be bad for their image? And if not the hanging kind, there are the ones that have bases on the ground. Not as good, but it can substitute if needed. I was at one place that, because of the building the school was in, there was nothing strong enough to hang a heavy bag from. So they just put in the ground mounted ones.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdan28
    It was a birthday party, not a class. As long as it doesn't conflict with the adult classes and the training doesn't suffer I see nothing wrong with it.
    On the surface of things, that sounds reasonable. But here's the reality, they schedule the "Little Ninjas Birthday Parties" (their description not mine) during the sword classes. They make everyone in the sword class practice with a shinai, no live blades allowed, not because they're worried about safety, if they were worried about safety they'd simply close off the sword classes to the public. But they instead keep things open, open so that the parents, the parents who have paid the big bucks for these little ninja themed birthday parties, can see the "Big Ninjas" practicing with the same birthday party equipment as the Little Ninjas, thus justifying the experience.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast