Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/07/2004 2:05am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I aim to please.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2004 12:44pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proprioception is classically determined by the ability to accurately sense joint positions or the threshold of joint movement that can be detected.

In the modern parlance, proprioception often means the process by which the body can vary muscle contraction in immediate response to incoming information regarding external forces.
    Let's restate this a bit more carefully and accurately, as there is some clear equivocation.

The nervous system receives information about the position of the body and its muscular activity via proprioception. Proprioception is the process of gathering and reporting information from a series of nerve endings located at mechanically meaningful points throughout the body (joints, tendons, muscles, etc.) and the inner ear. The nervous system reacts accordingly to this information in order to achieve some macroscopic end (walking, remaining upright, Judo throw, etc) without conscious assistance.

While this may not be an accurate use of the term proprioception in the classical sense that 'proprioceptive' training may not increase your ability to sense your body position
    You were quite certain it was proprioception improvement....and you weren't alone.

there is considerable evidence that this 'balance' training does improve performance and help prevent injury.
    The former is debatable in terms of efficiency and the latter is missing a very important prefix: re-. With the presence of considerable evidence, I would expect you to know what adaptations are (purportedly) occurring.

And let's get beyond the simplistic "CNS adapts" responses.

Now take half your body weight, put it over your head, and squat your ass to the ground. . . do a set of 10, no, make it 15.
    I guess that is supposed to be difficult? Funny.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    12/07/2004 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just like to hear yourself talk don't you?

Or see yourself type as the case may be. . .

Classically proprioception has nothing to do with the inner ear or balance or orientation in 3d space, but only how your body positions relate to each other.

In modern usage, proprioception is often used to mean other things.

'Proprioceptive' training is effective in preventing injury, without the re, maybe you are behind in your reading.

There are plenty of things that science hasn't explained that we know work. No one knows the mechanism of defibrilation, but we know it works. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to figure it out, but it also doesn't mean we shouldn't use it until we do.

At the end of the day, I don't really give a **** what adaptations occur. If I go train with someone, I don't want to know the mechanism of CNS adaptation, I want to know the drills and excercises that produced the adaptation.

Now take half your body weight, put it over your head, and squat your ass to the ground. . . do a set of 10, no, make it 15.

I guess that is supposed to be difficult? Funny.
    No, actually it isn't. I've just seen guys that think they are strong struggle to do it with a 45 lbs. bar and I didn't want you to hurt yourself.

Did you actually do it or just theorize how hard it would be?
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2004 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can appreciate the benefits of coping with a little bit of instability, but the risk of injury is tremendous, since a significant number of people don't really understand the physical principles of forces and torque. I was at the gym today, and a guy was there trying to get his friends to bench press with an uneven distribution of weights. I kept telling them that they shouldn't imbalance the system by very much, and that an imbalance of more than 50 percent would actually require one of their arms to carry a load that was greater than the total weight of all the plates on the bar. They just laughed at me. I told them they could check the math, from the hospital.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678