Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 4:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MAS Baji clips.

Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 9:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks!

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 10:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm surprised that he consented to be filmed showing those techniques

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfucius

ITs because his own chi has badly affected his brain and therefore his thinking capacity.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 10:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jen,

Did you recognize the guy? I don't even know who he is. I also couldn't understand most of what he was saying. I don't have any problem with Taiwanese movies but that guy was just unintelligible to me. I'm kind of planning to go over it slowly later to see if I can decifer the questions being asked and the names of the specific techs. AFAIK, people were asking about particular moves in the form and he was explaining apps.

I guess the filming was odd. My teacher would never let himself be filmed that way. Ironically I suspect he would be more open to having a "live" demo filmed. One where people just attacked at random and he responded at random, but the guy in theclips was giving a lecture.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:11am

Style: tibetan white crane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar:
    This is an activity of traditional martial arts societies in Taiwan. Usually they sit on Tatamis and one student will make tea in the traditional style and pass around the samll cups.
    This is no small type of activity. It is a mainstay of the bonding and method of instruction.
    Classical society is much more than practice in the hall.
    It helps to reveal your character and form realtionships with your Shixiong etc. Skill alone sometimes is not enough to become a real student. People have to know who you are and if you can be trusted.

They sit and talk and share experiences, share feelings about their practice.
    Occassionally a question will come up and the teacher will demonstrate and at that point everyone may get up and follow along.

The teacher here is advertising his school and getting new students so they are filming a slice of society life, maybe outsiders are participating.
    These clips were made to help with promotion prior to the free public demonstrations and seminars November 16.
    The club did have demonstrations as well in the public square (mantis also) and advertised free seminar for up to 50 people for that day.

I would emphasise this is a major feature of classical society, a technique of bonding and communication relatively unknown to the western world.

Now the question is why are these commercial schools for chinese seeming to suddenly pop up in Taipei, Taiwan?.
    The time is ripe now? Why? Did something happen? Or just continuing process of opening up?
    1987 marks end of martial law in Taiwan. Both China and Taiwan many teachers and activities are continually surfacing.

Omar, you are learning in China. Can you ask your experts if they know the meaning of:
    格鬥八極拳 (Ge Nao Baji)

美人紉針
    懶虎伸腰

The last 2 proverbs are in relation to the use of Xiao Baji.

thanks.
    Last edited by verboten; 11/20/2004 12:20pm at .

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 3:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good morning.

You got the pinyin wrong on 格鬥八極拳. That's ge DOU Baji. 'Ge Dou' means 'fighting'!!! or Often translated 'grappling' or 'freestyle fighting'.

I may be able to ask about the other 2 this morining.

"The beautifull woman mends a shirt"
    "Lazy tiger stretches his waist"

Funny names.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 8:14pm

Style: tibetan white crane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Omar. Ah the problem... i left my mega-complicated dictionary in Taiwan. I got a mainland pinyin one here, The simplified "dou" looks nothing like the taiwan character. I have to find my character transformation booklet. Do you easy to find "Fuzi" dictionary in Mainland?
    I recognize the other characters now that you've translated.
    ----
    Part of this question was answered elsewhere i just didn't realize it!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    An answer elsewhere:
    "The beauty threading the needle.

Gua Ta.

It is a way to push the opponent's back with one of your hands, and move one of your feet in front of the opponent back at the same time.

And the opponent falls to his front.

Lazy men stretching back."

but he didn't know second app.
    They are nice names.

But is this just a coincidence? Here we have two of those "other" ( imperial, combat, bodyguard baji schools aggressively advertising now?
    Last edited by verboten; 11/20/2004 8:37pm at .

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 10:34pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfucius
    ino pretty imbarresing if you ask me.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 1:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By "Fuzi" dictionary, do you mean one with traditional characters? If that's what you meant, then no. I can mostly recognize the traditional forms. 'dou' is pretty different and that you had trouble with it tells me you don't read enough comic books or watch enough Anime with Chinese subtitles. 'ge dou' (fight!) tends to come up a lot, lol.

Really there's just 'Bajiquan'. There's no such thing as "imperial Baji" and "fighting Baji" etc...What ever they put in front of the words "Ba Ji Quan" is just advertising. It's not dishonest or anything. There's just no real different styles. Huo Dian Ge was the instructor to and personal bodyguard of Emperor Pu Yi. If you want to emphaise the street fighting aspects...why not call it" 'ge dou' Baji"?

There are some different lineages and some noticeably different trends but I am really opposed to differentiating different "styles" of Baji like has happened with Taijiquan and to a lesser degree with Baguazhang.

The beauty threading the needle. - That's a better translation. Or maybe "Fair lady threads the needle".

The second one is definately "tiger" not "man". And my teachers response was that it reffered more to a shenfa than a specific application. And I called it "stretches his waist" but really it is that kind of strech you do when you have a good yawn.

Bizzaro Root,

What was wrong with the techniques? I titled the thead "MAS" right at the beggining but in the context of a presentation of different tech's and their mechanics...so? It wasn't a class OR a typical demo. More of a question and answer AFAIK.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast