Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:30pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.repetitive-strain.com/causes.html

They say that any "Repetitive and/or static wrist and finger flexion causes the flexor muscles which 'close' the hand to develop more strength than the wrist and finger extensor muscles that 'open' the hand." These grip strength things rely on extensive repetition, and in fact only work the 'closing' of the hand rather than the 'opening'.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Genius

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choke chicken more often.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve is right...I had the same issues when I climbed. The pinching plates really helped me a lot.

Piz, remember, this is mainly gi grappling. The gripping is very intense in Judo and BJJ when using a gi.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 1:15am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say carpal tunnel occurs from doing repitive motion incorrectly as opposed to correctly.
    But again I'm not a doctor but sometimes I play one on TV..... Or when I go clubbing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:09am

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    http://www.repetitive-strain.com/causes.html

They say that any "Repetitive and/or static wrist and finger flexion causes the flexor muscles which 'close' the hand to develop more strength than the wrist and finger extensor muscles that 'open' the hand." These grip strength things rely on extensive repetition, and in fact only work the 'closing' of the hand rather than the 'opening'.
    On any Sporting goods store gripper I might be inclined to beleive you. Especially on those individual finger gripmaster things. However, carpal tunnel is from extremely high reps in a posture not natural. this is why so many desk jockeys get it (typing on shitty keyboards, in shitty positions, working shitty jobs all day). The grippers from Iron mind are pretty low rep though, and I wouldn't concern myself with carpal tunnel on those. If you're doing high enough reps on iron mind grippers for CT to be worrying about CT, you should have bought the next gripper a long time ago.

COC grippers (and BB grippers) are pretty low rep exercises, and if you're doing high reps in order to move up to the next gripper... you're training with them wrong. I personally see no need to ever go above 5 reps. 10 tops. What I've been doing is grinding off enough of each handle of my number one to where it becomes a 5 rep max via the reduction of leverage. then I use prilepins table to determine an appropriate rep scheme (5 rep max = about 89% of your 1rm), which puts me at 3-10 sets of 2-4 reps. even total I don't go above about 20 reps, which compared to those who fly a desk all day isn't very much. and because I have to concentrate on each rep, due to difficulty, my wrist and forearm are properly aligned.

Don't NOT train your grip cause some keyboard pusher on the internet told you not to. and if you're REALLY concerned (and you shouldn't be) just do some wrist roller work, or buy yourself the extensor loops from ironmind and a copy of "mastery of hand strength."

BTW, if you're using grippers for anything besides getting better at grippers, you there are better ways to spend your time, as the crushing strength developed through them has limited carryover to other endevors.
    Last edited by Urban; 11/21/2004 5:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:27am

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    edited cause I stuck it in the wrong thread...
    Last edited by Urban; 11/21/2004 2:17pm at .

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong thread. Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 2:24pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Urban: OK, that makes sense. I've known people who don't move up to the next gripper, and just sit there all day squeezing a lighter one, and that's how I assumed they were normally used.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 2:57pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info, good reads.

the fact that im fairly new and quite possibly could be exerting more force then needed makes sense. Maybe as time goes by and i hopefully develop better techniqe ill rely on a iron grip less often.

or my hands will fall off :new_all_c

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 8:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh, difference in training methods surfaces again.

I usually train my grippers by doing statics, not a million reps.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTiger
    Piz, remember, this is mainly gi grappling. The gripping is very intense in Judo and BJJ when using a gi.
    I was questioning the possibility of getting bruises from gripping, which, correct me if I'm wrong, was how I interpreted his post as attempting to communicate. I never got any bruises from my full-contact rock climbing myself. :)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast